Thursday 31 July 2014

Plum Cake

                                        This entry is dedicated to my mother, Elvira.

We have a plum tree in our backyard and every year it produces plums.
We give to family, friends, our neighbours, and our co-workers.
We bake (cakes, crumbles, pies, sometimes muffins) and we still have lots and lots left over.
In the end, we make plum jam.



This year however, the plums were smaller in size.
That didn't mean anything because they were still very juicy.

My mom loved fruit. 
Especially produce that came from her garden.
Every year, we brought over a bowl of yellow plums for her to enjoy.
She would have appreciated the fact that we shared what we had with others. 
She always told me to share and that I would receive in ten-folds after that.
I have to agree with her, it is true.

2014 is a tough year.
First, I had personal problems that I needed to overcome before I could blog.
Then in the last week of May I learn my mom has liver cancer.
The same cancer that my dad died of.
On June 17, my mom died.

We used to argue all the time.
But the last year, we became closer.
She use to say I never called.
Now I find myself picking up the phone to call her and realizing she is no longer there.
I miss her.

She would have loved this cake.
She used to make a cake very similar to this.
Except of the fresh plums, she would have used plum jam and then she would sprinkle raisins on top.
Which I would pick off and she would get so mad.
I was so very picky as a child.

When I saw this recipe, I thought of my mom.

The base of the cake is dense and tasty.
Then the plums on top give it the mmm....
I find the cake is similar to a coffee cake.
We ate ours with vanilla ice cream.
Just like I used to do when I was a kid.



Sizzle and Drizzle  came out with the original recipe. 
Thank you for bring back memories.



Plum Cake

70 grams (5 Tbsp) butter, room-temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly-packed
2 large eggs
1/3 cup canola oil (or another flavourless oil)
2 Tbsp lemon zest (1-lemon)
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp corn flour or corn meal/polenta (I used corn meal)
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Plums, cut in either halves or in quarters  (You need enough plums to cover the top of the batter).
(I used yellow plums, approx. 20. Mine were small).

*Preheat oven to 350F.
Line a 8-inch springform pan or 8-inch pan with parchment paper.  (I used a square pan).
Butter or grease the parchment paper.  Set aside.
*Beat the butter and sugars together until it is creamy and pale.  Approx. 4-minutes.
*Add the eggs, one-at-a-time and beat for approx. 1-minute after each addition.
*Add the oil, zest, vanilla, cinnamon, baking powder and corn flour; beat again for approx. 2-minutes until all is incorporated.
*Slowly add the flour, 1/2 cup at-a-time.  Mix together for another 1-2 minutes.
(The dough is quite thick.)
*Pour the batter into the prepared pan. 
*Using a spoon or spatula spread the batter evenly on top.
*Place the plums (cut side up) on top of the batter.
*Bake for approx. 35-minutes or until a knife or skewer comes out clean. 
*Remove from oven and let the cake sit for approx. 10 minutes before
moving the cake to a wire-rack to cool completely.



***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter.
You should do what you feel is best.

Enjoy!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment