Thursday 12 December 2013

Cornmeal Thumbprints

I know what you are thinking...
Cornmeal?
In thumbprints??

This is a good thing.
Honest.
I wouldn't blog about it otherwise.

It gives it texture and it so slight, you wonder if you did put it in.
Flavour?
Yes, that is what the almond extract is for.
The two work together, perfect.

*The only thing I must mention, is my thumbprints, spread.  A lot.
I recommend (and I did just that) is chilling at every step.
I chilled the dough before baking and in-between baking.
I also chilled the balls before going in the oven.  This way it went from the freezer to the oven.

I made these for my brother-in-law, who thankfully appreciates my baking more than my husband.
He has a sweet-tooth like me.
Or as my son likes to put it..."sweet-teeth"!

une gamine dans la cuisine   merci, for the recipe.

Cornmeal Thumbprints

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cornmeal (I used yellow)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, room-temperature
1/2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp pure almond extract
1/3 cup jam (I used raspberry, it is my favourite jam!)

*In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Set a side.
*Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (approx. 5-minutes) on medium-speed.
*Add the egg and extract, and mix.
*Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until everything is incorporated.
Remember to scrape down the side of the bowl and the bottom of the bowl.

*Cover the bowl with plastic-wrap and chill dough for approx. 45-minutes.

*In the meantime, line the baking sheets/pan with either Sil-Pat mat (I use this) or
parchment paper.

*Place 1/3 cup of jam into a small bowl and stir vigorously, until it smooths out.  Set a side.

*Remove dough from fridge.
*Using a Tbsp scoop, scoop out the dough, roll into a ball, place onto the baking sheet/pan.
Leave space, 2-inches apart.
*Using the end of a wooden spoon, make an indent in the centre of the cookie
(do not go through to the bottom); this is where the jam will go into.
*I used an espresso spoon to spoon the jam into the centre.  Don't over-fill.
*Once filled with jam, return to freezer to chill for approx. 10-minutes.

**In the meantime, your bowl of dough, should be chilling. 

***Yes, these are time-consuming but it will be worth it.

*Preheat oven 350F.

*Remove baking sheet/pan from freezer and place into oven.
*Bake for approx. 10-minutes or until cookies are golden in colour.
*Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheets/pan for approx. 5-minutes before removing to a wire-rack to cool completely.

*Repeat. 
Remembering to chill dough in-between and also the baking sheets/pans with the thumbprints on them.

***Please Note:   I always use salted butter and them omit the salt requested in recipes.
You should do what you feel is best.

Enjoy!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment