Monday 26 August 2013

Nutella Stuffed Cookies

I wish I could eat Nutella on everything and not gain weight.
I look at Nutella and I gain weight.
We are NOT going to talk about weight anymore!!!!

I think you know how much I LOVE Nutella.
I LOVE a lot of things (and people too) but the love of Nutella....it reminds me of being in Italy in the summer on the beach eating Nutella sandwiches.  What a lovely memory.  Ah, those were the days!

When I came across this recipe, I had to try it.
This is a rich and simple cookie.
The sea salt used with the Nutella brings out the richness of the cookie.
The cookie part is simple, not over-the-top.
Loved by children and grown-ups.
Good on its own or dunked in milk. 
We had a few (or maybe it was some) with vanilla ice-cream.
Mmmm.....

I brought these over these to a friend's house (along with the Butterscotch Madeleines) and
they were a hit.
How can one go wrong with Nutella?
Even my husband, who doesn't like chocolate (I know, I know..he is slightly crazy) liked these cookies.



*Check out the blog that I got this recipe from.  It is in German and I used Google translate.
I think I did okay.
http://coffeeatjanets.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/cookies-mit-nutella-meersalzfullung/

*Let me tell you I didn't notice until after I had made the recipe and tried to translate and convert the grams into cups that there is an English-version.  She got it from a Canadian blog.
http://www.cookincanuck.com/2011/12/nutella-sea-salt-stuffed-sugar-cookie-recipe-oxo-baking-giveaway/



At first, I forgot to add the sea salt on top of the Nutella.  They were good.
However, when I remembered and added the salt, it made the cookie exceptional.
Do add the salt.
Try not to forget or skip this step!
*The recipe states to use 1/2 tsp of salt. 
I did not measure, I sprinkled it on.

*The recipe states to use 110 grams of Nutella.
I didn't measure how much I used.
**In order to make the 'stuffing' of Nutella, I used an espresso spoon and scooped out the Nutella onto waxed paper. 
I had approx. 25 small balls, and then I placed into the freezer to harden. (approx. 15-minutes).
It will be much easier to work with if Nutella has not softened.

*The recipe also states to roll the ball into granulated sugar before baking.
I omitted this step and left them plain.
The plain coating, makes the Nutella shine through.
Nutella is the star of the show.  I mean cookie.

You can make them into a crisper cookie by baking them for the recommended time or
you can slightly under-bake them for them to be a softer cookie.
Both ways = delicious.

The cookies taste good cooled, but warm is even better.
The Nutella oozes out and you have chocolatey-goodness happening in your mouth.
:)

I have seen some cookies with chocolate chips and Nutella and
some with chocolate and Nutella.
This cookie is different.



Nutella Stuffed Cookies

2  1/4 cups (320 grams) all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
sprinkle or 1/2 tsp sea salt (* see note above)
a little under 1-cup granulated sugar (190 grams) +  more for rolling (optional)
a little under 1-cup unsalted butter (200 grams)
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
** Nutella balls are in freezer while the dough is being made

*Preheat the oven to 350F.
Line the baking sheet/pan with either a Sil-Pat mat or parchment paper.
*In a medium bowl, whisk the flour and baking powder together.  (dry ingredients)  Set aside.
*Beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy. (approx. 5-minutes).
*Add one egg-at-a-time and beat well after each addition.
*Lastly, add the vanilla and mix again.
*Slowly add the dry-ingredients to the mixture.  Beating only until incorporated; until a
soft dough is formed.

** I placed the dough into the freezer for 5-minutes to firm it up while I cleaned up.

*Get the Nutella balls and the dough out of the freezer.

*Remove some dough and flatten the dough out.
*Put a ball of Nutella on it.
*Sprinkle with a little sea salt over the Nutella.
*Place more dough on top and make into a ball.
Making sure no Nutella shows through.
** Roll ball of dough into granulated sugar, if desired.
*Place ball onto a prepared baking sheet/pan.
*Repeat with the rest of the dough; spacing 2-inches apart onto the baking sheet/pan.
                  ** Place the dough and Nutella in the freezer between baking.
*Bake for approx. 10-13 minutes or until edges are slightly-brown.
*Remove from oven and place on a wire-rack to cool.

Enjoy!
:)







No comments:

Post a Comment