Monday 26 August 2013

Lemon Poppy Seed Madeleines

I LOVE summer.
The sun, the warmth, the fresh scents, the garden is full of fresh fruits and vegetables, opening up the windows of the house and feeling the gentle breezes.
I could go on and on...

I love lemons. 
I love that they are yellow and they too remind me of summer.

I was going to an All-Girls' Get-Together and I wanted something light, flavourful and lemony!!
I brought these and Blueberry, Almond Madeleines.
The Lemon Poppy Seed Madeleines were gone in a flash.

These were quick to make.
They swelled in their molds and came out nice and round, with the imprint of the ridges showing.
The key is usually chilling the dough, but what I did was after buttering the madeleine pan, I
chilled the pan and the dough.
And, in-between batches, I did place the batter back into the fridge to chill.

*A few ingredients I found I did not have and I had to make my own.
Such as, heavy cream.
Therefore I Google it and found...
http://frugalliving.about.com/od/makeyourowningredients/r/Heavy_Cream_Sub.htm

*I also did not have, sour cream.
I found you could substitute sour cream for buttermilk.
I didn't have buttermilk, therefore I made my own.
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-a-quick-easy-buttermilk-substitute-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-185757
I used white vinegar and 2% milk.

I did not use the glaze that the recipe states to use.
I am unsure how I came across the original recipe.
http://www.sweetkiera.com/?s=lemon+poppy+seed+madeleines&x=0&y=0



Lemon Poppy Seed Madeleines

1/2 cup unsalted butter + more for buttering the madeleine pans
1  1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
sprinkle of salt (I used sea salt)
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup homemade heavy cream
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 medium-size lemon (zest and the juice)
1 Tbsp poppy seeds


*Butter the madeleine pan(s).  Making sure every ridge is buttered. 
Chill the pans.
*In small saucepan, over medium-heat, melt the butter and heat until the butter turns golden-brown.
You will know it is ready when it gives off a nutty-aroma.  Approx. 10-minutes.  Do Not Let It Burn.
Stir constantly.
Set aside to cool.
*In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.
(dry ingredients).
*Using a whisk-attachment, beat the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy; approx. 10-minutes.
They should double in volume.  Set aside.
*In a separate bowl (medium-size), stir together the buttercream, heavy cream, vanilla, lemon zest and freshly-squeezed lemon juice.
(The medium-size lemon produces approx. 2-Tbsp of zest and 2-Tbsp of juice).
*Using a rubber-spatula, gently-fold the dry ingredients into the egg-mixture; just until combined.
*Gently-fold in the buttermilk mixture; just until combined.
*Once again, gently-fold in the cooled brown-butter, until combined.  Do Not Over-Mix.
*Lastly, add the poppy seeds in until all is evenly-distributed.

*Cover bowl with plastic, and refrigerate for as long as possible (up to 24-hours).

*Preheat to 350F.
*Either pipe or spoon the batter into the madeleine pan.  Filling approx. 1/3-full.
The dough will fill out.
(What I use is a Zip-Log Bag.  I cut a small corner of the bag and use that to pipe the dough into the pan).
*Bake for approx. 10-minutes or until the cookie springs-back when lightly-touched or
until lightly-golden.
*Let it rest in the pan for approx. 1-minute before gently removing from pan.
*Cool on a wire-rack.

**IF using only one-madeleine pan at a time, gently wipe the pans of any crumbs before
buttering pans. 
Chill pans for approx. 5-minutes before piping the dough and repeating the process.

**In between batches, remember to chill the dough as well.

***I believe, the madeleines should be consumed the day of.
Madeleines will keep up to 1-day, in an air-tight container.



Enjoy!
:)              
           







No comments:

Post a Comment