Friday 30 August 2013

Blueberry, Almond Madeleines

I have been eyeing this recipe for a l-o-n-g time!
The blueberries and the colour intrigued me.
I loved the fact that it had Blueberry Curd on the inside and Blueberry Glaze on the outside.
These reminded me of summer.

http://vagabondbaker.com/2013/03/21/glazed-blueberry-madeleines/

Too bad it didn't work out for me.

I am unsure where I went wrong.
My Blueberry Madeleines turned out flat and too delicate to have them removed from the madeleine pan.  (They never puffed out to look like a madeleine).
I brushed on the Blueberry Glaze to the very few that I was able to remove.
I never piped the Blueberry Curd into the Madeleines.
:(

The taste was awesome though.
Loved the almond and blueberry flavours that came through. 
Especially the almond flavour.
This was one of my favourite madeleines, even though the appearance wasn't there.

Will I try to make this again?
Yes, but without the Blueberry Curd.
I found the Curd was too time consuming and it didn't turn out either.
Never thickened.  Even after, I used 8-Tbsp of cornstarch.
Taste of the Curd?  Yum!
Since I didn't use it for the Madeleines, I ended up using it as a waffle topping.  Mmmm.....

First, I made the Blueberry Curd.
Second, I made the Blueberry Glaze.
Lastly, I made the Almond Flavoured Madeleines.

The recipe states to use Caster Sugar in both the Curd (I did not, I used Granulated Sugar) and
                                                                             Madeleines (I did.  I made my own).
*To make Caster Sugar, please see the link-below...
http://frugalliving.about.com/od/makeyourowningredients/r/Castor_Sugar.htm

 


 

Blueberry Curd   1 cup fresh blueberries (I used 1  1/2 cups)
                            1 tsp water
                            1/3 cup unsalted butter
                            1/2 cup granulated sugar
                            2 large eggs, beaten

*Place the blueberries in a small saucepan with the 1-tsp water; on medium-high heat.
The blueberries will burst and the juices will bubble up.
*Blend the cooked berries.  You will now have a dark-purple liquid.
**Set 3-Tbsp of the juice aside.  (This is to be used for the Blueberry Glaze).
*In another small saucepan, bring water to a boil and place another bowl on top.
Making sure the bowl does not touch the water.  (I used a metal bowl).
Similar to a Double-Boiler, as you would to melt chocolate.
*In the bowl (over top the saucepan), melt the butter.
*Add the sugar and let it dissolve with the butter.
*Add the beaten eggs, and mix.
*Add the blueberries, and mix together.
*Let it cook for approx. 30-minutes, giving it a good stir, ever so often.
This must thicken.  The heat should be low.
*IF it doesn't thicken, you could use cornstarch.
*Once it has thickened, let cool and sieve the curd into a glass bowl or jar and cover.




Blueberry Glaze   3 Tbsp blueberry juice
                             1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar

*Mix 1-Tbsp blueberry juice at a time with a few Tbsp of confectioners' sugar until you find the correct consistency to either dip, spoon or brush the glaze over the madeleines.
*I used the 3-Tbsp and 1/2 confectioners' sugar.



Almond Madeleines  

125 grams unsalted butter (1/2 cup + 1-Tbsp) + more for pans
2 large eggs
2/3 cup caster sugar
2 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp pure almond extract
1/3 cup ground almond
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder

*In a small saucepan, melt the butter.
Once melted, set aside and cool.
*Using a whisk attachment, whisk together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
*Add the milk and the almond extract to the cooled butter.
*Add the milk/butter-mixture into the whisked egg-mixture.
*In a separate bowl, whisk together the ground almond, flour and baking powder.
*Using a rubber spatula, gently mix together half of the flour-mixture into the egg-mixture.
*Once mixed, mix together the other half of the flour-mixture.
**It is important to always refrigerate your madeleine batter.  It helps improve the batter.
It makes it get puffy and rise, and helps with making the ridges in the shells.
(where I went wrong, is still beyond me).  Cover and refrigerate for as long as possible.
Overnight, is okay too.

*Preheat oven to 350F.
*Butter the madeleine pans generously.
(I even placed my madeliene pan in the fridge while I was preheating my oven).
*You can either spoon, or pipe your batter into the madeleine molds/pans.
(I use a Zip-Loc bag.  I cut a small corner off and it is easy and controlled).
*Bake for approx. 10-minutes depending on your oven and how big your shells are or
until they gently spring back to the touch.
*When they have been removed from the oven, let rest in pan for 1-minute before gently removing.
*Let cool on a wire-rack.

Assemble:

*Please see original blog on how to pipe the Blueberry Curd into the Almond Madeleines.

*Once the Almond Madeleines have been cooled, I brushed on the Blueberry Glaze onto the madeleines.
Or you can dip the Almond Madeleines into the Blueberry Glaze.
*Place on wire-rack to dry.

***Pictures show: Blueberry, Almond Madeleines
                               and
                               Lemon, Poppy Seed Madeleines.



                           

                          



No comments:

Post a Comment