Monday 26 August 2013

Butterscotch Madeleines

I love madeleines.
And I LOVE trying new flavours.
There are so many cookies/biscotti/whoopies/madeleines to make, we can't make the same flavours over and over again.

I was invited over a friend's house.
She was going to do the cooking (I HATE cooking!) and I was to bring the dessert.
I brought over 2 treats.
Nutella-Stuffed Cookies (post for that will come later) and
these, Butterscotch Madeleines.

The Butterscotch Madeleines were light but flavourful.
They were gone in a flash.
How can you go wrong with Madeleines?

*The recipe requests 'Golden Syrup'.
Prior to making these, I wasn't aware of Golden Syrup.
Thank God for Google!
I found out it can be subsituted which is what I did.
I used Honey.

*The recipe also states to use 'Caster Sugar'.
I used granulated sugar.
Caster Sugar is a fine grind of granulated sugar.
What you can do is, if you don't have Caster Sugar is place 1-cup of granulated sugar in
the processor for approx. 1-minute.  Making sure you don't process if for too long because you
don't want it to turn into Confectioners' Sugar.
The reason for the use of Caster Sugar is that it melts and gets incorporated into things much more quickly because it's so fine.  Such as meringues.

*Madeleines are best eaten right from the oven, or the day of.
Some people do like them the next day.
*Madeleines are good up to 1-day.
*You can either eat on their own, or dunk them in your coffee/tea/Ovaltine/hot chocolate or
eat however you want.
Or dust them with confectioners' sugar, if desired.

*The original recipe is from...
http://gourmettraveller.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/bills-basics-butterscotch-madeleines/

Butterscotch Madeleines

100 grams (roughly 1/4 cup) Unsalted Butter + more for pans
2 Tbsp Honey
2 large eggs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt  (I used kosher salt)

*Preheat to 350F.
Butter/grease madeleine pan; ensuring the molds are well buttered, this way the madeleines won't stick to the pan. 
*Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
*Once butter has melted, remove from heat.  And add honey.  Leave to cool.
*In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and salt until light and fluffy.
*Add the flour and the baking powder.
*Pour the cooled honey mixture in.
*Gently fold everything just until combined. (Do Not Overmix).
*Either pipe or spoon in the batter into the madeleine pan. 
(I use a Zip-Loc bag and snip off a small corner of the bag.  It is faster and easier to use instead of a piping-bag).
*Do Not Over Load the molds, madeleines fill out the molds on their own.
*Bake for approx. 10-minutes or until springy to the touch.
*Remove from oven.  Let rest for approx. 1-minute before gently removing from molds.
*Cool on wire racks.

*** Please Note:  
I always use Salted Butter in recipes EXCEPT today was an exception!
I had picked up the Unsalted Butter because it was on sale.
The Salted Butter was not on sale.  Hmmm...
Anyways, I thought I give it a try. 
I find Unsalted Butter does not keep for too long in the fridge (maybe it is my fridge!) and
I stored it in the freezer.
Anyways, you should do what you feel is best.
:)







No comments:

Post a Comment