Wednesday 21 August 2013

Neapolitan Whoopie-Pie Cookies

I apologize it is near the end of summer and I am finally writing.
The last time I was on here, was June.
Before school ended,
Before everything went crazy.
Before I got lazy.

Now school will start in less than 2-weeks and I thought a post was in order.
The house is quiet, everyone is still sleeping.
Of course, it is still summer vacation.
Where everything is so laid-back.

We had a terrible summer this year.
Where only a few days was hot and humid.
The rest felt like the beginnings of autumn but with a little sun.  Less cloudy.

My friend's birthday was in July and I baked these for her.
And because my friend is also my co-worker, these were given to her at work.
Where she was nice enough to share with all and everyone got to comment on them.

The reviews?
Great!!!
LOVED the colours (reminds you of summer!)
And who doesn't love a Whoopie???

The flavours on the other hand...
When I added it to the chocolate cookie to the strawberry cookie, some said the strawberry flavour was lost.
I don't know, I thought they were good and could taste both sides.

When I made the recipe I got more chocolate cookies than
the strawberry cookies.
So, when I ran out of the strawberry, I just put the chocolate cookies together.
No complaints there.

**Another thing I found was the dough was stickier than most dough.
I did sprinkle more flour than what was recommended in the recipe.
I did not measure out how much.  Sorry.  :(

Also, the chocolate cookies, slightly spread more than the strawberry cookie.
I used a Tablespoon scoop to measure out both cookies.

I baked 1st, the strawberry cookie and then
the chocolate cookie and then
I made the vanilla frosting.

The vanilla frosting is heavenly.
And because of the shortening, it is stable and you are able to pipe onto the cookie.
:)

Anyways, where did this recipe come from???
http://cookiesandcups.com/neapolitan-cookie-sandwiches/
Check her out, she has an great blog. 



Neapolitan Whoopie-Pie Cookies

Strawberry Cookies:   1  1/2 cups + 2 Tbsp + more (see note above) all-purpose flour
                                    1 tsp baking powder
                                    1/2 cup butter
                                    1/2 granulated sugar
                                    1 large egg
                                    2 Tbsp Nesquik Strawberry Syrup


*Preheat oven to 350F. 
Line the baking sheets/pans with either Sil-Pat mat or parchment paper.
Please do this for both cookies (strawberry and chocolate).
*Whisk together flour (except for the sprinkle, I waited until the dough was made),
and baking powder. [dry ingredients].
*Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  (Pale yellow).
*Add the egg and the syrup, beat for approx. 1-minute, until combined.
*Now add the dry ingredients and mix until all is together.
This is when I noticed the dough a bit sticky, and I sprinkled more flour; to make it less sticky.
(You do what you feel is best).
*Using a Tablespoon scoop, scoop out the dough onto the lined-baking sheet/pan, and please space them approx.  1 1/2-inches apart.
*Flatten the dough slightly.  (I used my two fingers).
*Bake approx. 8-10 minutes or until the edges turn light-brown.
*Remove from oven, and transfer to a wire-rack to cool.

Chocolate Cookies:   1  1/2 cups flour + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
                                  1 tsp baking powder
                                  3/4 cup butter
                                  3/4 cup brown sugar
                                  1 large egg
                                  1 tsp pure vanilla extract
                                  3  1/2 Tbsp Nesquik Chocolate Syrup

*Whisk together the flour and baking powder.  [dry ingredients]
*Beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
*Add the egg, vanilla extract and chocolate syrup, beat for approx. 1-minute, until combined
*Now add the dry ingredients, slowly to the mixture, mix until all is combined.
*Using a Tablespoon scoop, scoop out the dough onto the lined-baking sheet/pan and please space them approx. 2-inches apart.  (these spread a little more).
*Flatten the dough slightly.  (I used my two fingers).
*Bake for approx. 8-10 minutes, just until the centers are set.
*Remove from oven, and transfer to a wire-rack to cool.

Vanilla Frosting:   3/4 cup butter, room-temperature
                              1/4 cup shortening (I used Crisco All-Vegetable)
                              4 cups confectioners' sugar
                              1 tsp pure vanilla extract
                              3 Tbsp milk

*Using a whisk-attachment, whisk together the butter and shortening until blended.
*Slowly add the confectioners' sugar, 1-cup at a time.
*After adding 2-cups of confectioners' sugar, add the vanilla and milk.
*Then slowly add the remaining 2-cups of confectioners' sugar.
*Beat all together for approx. 2-minutes, until fluffy.

Assemble:  

*Pipe (I recommend for a finishing touch, used 1M Wilton tip) or
generously spread the frosting onto one of the cookies (either the strawberry or chocolate).
*Place the other cookie on top (opposite of what was used on the bottom).



***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt in the recipe.
You should do what you feel is best.



No comments:

Post a Comment