Monday 10 June 2013

Jello Cookies

We had been having some really nice summery weather and I was loving it.
The reason I am using the word 'was' is, we are no longer having nice weather.
We are having cold and rainy weather.

Well, before it turned out to be cold and rainy, I wanted cookies to match the beautiful weather we were having.

The Jello cookies caught my eye.
You can use any colour you want. 
Any colour, equals to the flavour the cookie will be.

I used 3 packages of Jello. 
Orange (nice orange colour and flavour).
Raspberry (blue-red colour and raspberry flavour).
Lime (lime green colour and lime flavour).

The secret in making these easy cookies is two things.
1)  really knead the dough to make sure the colour is unified.
(I found it hard to knead the dough and this is the reason why I had spots).
and
2)  flatten out the cookie with the bottom of a water glass.
Make it as flat as it can go.
These cookies do not spread.  They will retain their shape.(see below in my pics).

*The original post makes these cookies look really nice.
http://pieczonetruskawki.blogspot.ca/2013/05/kolorowe-ciastka-z-galaretka-bez.html

Don`t over-bake.
*The cookies will be soft when removed from the oven and not easy to remove from the baking sheet.  Do it gently. 
They will firm up once on the wire-rack.



Jello Cookies

2 cups flour
(I would use slightly less than this.  Perhaps 1  3/4 cups.  I found using 2-cups of flour, made the dough a bit dry and hard to knead).
1 tsp baking powder
*a little under 1-cup butter (175 grams)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
3 or 4 packages of Jello

*Preheat oven to 350F.
*In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
*Add the egg and mix for 1-minute.
*Mix in the dry ingredients (flour and baking powder) until all is combined.
*Separate the dough into 3 or 4 sections.  (Depending on how many packages of Jello you have).
*Sprinkle one package of Jello onto the section of the dough and knead. 
Making sure the colour is all over and there are no white-spots.
*Using a Tablespoon scoop, scoop out the dough and roll into balls.
*Once on the cookie sheet/pan, using a glass, press down to flatten.

*Bake for 5-minutes.
**Remove from oven, and now place tin-foil around the cookie sheet/pan.
*Bake for another 5-7 minutes with the tin-foil on top of the cookie sheet/pan.
**Remove from oven again and gently remove from pan onto the wire-rack to cool.

*Using the `orange` flavour Jello, I rolled my dough into balls, but at 1st I did not flatten.
And they ended up looking like meatballs.
I made 10 Orange Jello cookies.

*Second, I used the `raspberry` flavour Jello, I rolled the dough into balls and flatten,
but not too much.
And they ended up looking like puff balls.
I made 9 Raspberry Jello cookies.

*Lastly, I used the `lime` flavour.  These I flattened but now I over-baked them.
I made 10 Lime Jello cookies.

*All tasted pretty good.
In total, I made 29 Jello cookies.




***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt requested in recipes.
You should do what you feel is best.

:)






No comments:

Post a Comment