Tuesday 11 June 2013

Cornmeal Pancakes

Cornmeal can be used in just about everything.
I have used it in cookies and waffles.
And now there is Cornmeal Pancakes.

The thing with the Cornmeal Pancakes is not only are they filling...but the cornmeal adds texture.
And yet, they are still light and fluffy.

Usually I make the Cornmeal Waffles (see my post),
Sometimes I am a tad lazy getting out the waffle-iron and this is the reason why we make pancakes instead.

This is another family favourite..
Give these a shot. 
They are quick to make and the ingredients you will have on-hand.

*I always make my own buttermilk.
I can never remember to buy it.
*Using a 1-cup liquid measurement, place 1-Tbsp of white vinegar into the 1-cup liquid measurement
and top off with milk (I use 2%).  Stir gently and let rest for approx. 15-minutes at room-temperature.
Voila, buttermilk is made.
:)
In this case, you would have to double the recipe because this recipe asks for 1  1/2 cups of buttermilk.

The original post is from http://dinnerwithaura.com/2012/07/blueberry-cornmeal-pancakes/

I made some slight changes.
I did not use the butter and extra milk.

I also doubled the recipe. (made 13-large pancakes).
I have a pretty big family and we are hearty-eaters.

Cornmeal Pancakes

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1  1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1  1/2 cups buttermilk
1 large egg, slightly-beaten
2 cups blueberries (Optional.  Or any other fruit.  Raspberries, etc.)

*In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry-ingredients (flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda).
IF using fruit, whisk together with the dry-ingredients.
*In another bowl, whisk together all the wet-ingredients (slightly-beaten egg, and buttermilk).
*Mix together the wet-ingredients into the dry-ingredients. (mixture will be lumpy).
*Either using a griddle or a non-stick pan, heat the pan with a touch of butter, let melt over
medium-heat.
*Spoon batter onto griddle or pan.  Depending on how big you want them, use a 1/3 cup measurement.
(I use a 1/2 cup measurement to spoon out the batter).
*Cook until edges are set, (2--3 minutes) and small bubbles appear, then Flip!
*Cook for approx. another 2-3 minutes or until golden-brown.
*Repeat until all the batter is all cooked.

*Enjoy with butter, maple syrup or jam.
*Enjoy them anyway you like.
These are delicious!
:)


No comments:

Post a Comment