Wednesday 29 May 2013

Sweet Potato Cookie

That's right,
Sweet Potato.
Yes, we are using Potatoes to make cookies.

What's next?
I am unsure.

Listen, we have used cake mixes, pudding mixes, Jell-O, popcorn, potato-chips, and the list
goes on....

What's wrong with potatoes?
Potato is a vegetable and vegetables are good for you.
I know, I know, society sees potatoes as a carb.
Let's not discuss that right now.

Vegetables are good for you.
Just like this cookie is good for you.

It has potatoes, and cranberries.
Just think of the nutrition now!

Anyways, I brought these to work and my co-workers LOVED them!
They were soft and cake-like. 
You could use these a the cookie-part for a Whoopie-Pie-Cookie.
:)

*I am not going to take credit for making this cookie, the original blog is here...
http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2010/11/white-chocolate-cranberry-pecan-and-sweet-potato-cookies/

What I did differently was I did not add the pecans (my kids have braces) and
ginger (I am allergic).
You should add the nuts, I personally think it would up the cookie.
Try it and let me know.

*Also, some advice.
Make sure the sweet potato puree is cool BEFORE you add it to the batter.
I did not wait, therefore my white-chocolate-chips disappeared into the batter.
:(



Sweet Potato Cookie

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsps honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup sweet potato puree (1-large sweet potato)
1  1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 white chocolate-chips
1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped in half

*Preheat oven to 350F.
Line your baking sheets/pans with either parchment paper or Sil-Pat Mat.  Set aside.
*In a medium-bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
(dry-ingredients).
*Using a paddle-attachment in a large bowl, beat together the butter, both sugars, honey and extract until smooth and fluffy.
*Add the egg and beat.
*Add the sweet potato puree and mix well.
*Add the dry-ingredients to the puree-mixture and mix only until everything is incorporated.
*Fold in the chocolate-chips and cranberries.
*Using either a Tbsp or tsp scoop, scoop out the batter onto the prepared baking sheets/pans.
Leave 1-inch apart, they will slightly spread.
*Bake for approx. 10-minutes (depending on the size of the scoop) or
until cookies are puffed and golden.
*Let sit on the baking sheet/pan approx. 3-5 minutes Before transferring to a wire-rack to cool.

Yield:   25 cookies

***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt requested in the recipe.
You should do what you feel is best.

:)


No comments:

Post a Comment