Wednesday 15 May 2013

Pina Colada Cookies

It was suppose to be cloudy and rainy today.
I look outside and it is sunny and almost warm.
I like it.
Spring.
Yes.
Knowing that summer is just right around the corner.
Yes!

What do you think of when you think of summer?

I think of sun, hot, windows down, music blaring, those nice cars with the shiny rims,
popsicles/Mr. Freezies/ice-cream, kids in the pool, tropical fruit, berries,
BBQ's and lots of get-togethers!!!

That is what I thought of when I first laid eyes on this cookie.
It brought summer to me.

The recipe requests 'flatten bananas'.
I searched everywhere and couldn't find any.
Therefore I used dried banana-chips, with no added salt.
*Of course, I didn't read the recipe properly because the recipe stated IF you don't have flatten bananas you could use the banana-chips but to soak them in water.
I didn't do that.   
Next time, I think I will either do that or use a banana, mashed.

I did double the recipe; which was a good thing.
The family and co-workers liked it.
I thought it was okay.
I didn't really taste the 'pina colada' flavour.
I think it was because of the banana-thing.  :(

For the original idea, please see the link below....

http://www.averiecooks.com/2012/05/pina-colada-white-chocolate-cake-mix-cookies.html



Pina Colada Cookies

1/4 cup butter, room-temperature
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 box of yellow cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
5 Tbsps all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1/3 cup EACH of: dried-banana-chips, and candied dried-pineapple (diced small)
1/4 cup white chocolate chips

*Preheat oven to 350F.
Line your cookie sheets/pans with either parchment paper or Sil-Pat mats (I use this).
**This recipe is a One-Bowl recipe.**
*Beat the butter, egg, and vanilla together until combined. (2-3 minutes).
*Add the cake mix, mix until smooth.
*Add the flour. 
Recipe states the more flour used the more cake-like and less chewy the cookie will be.
*Add in the rest of the ingredients (coconut, dried-banana, dried-pineapple and chocolate-chips).

***Either place the bowl in the freezer for 15-minutes or in the fridge for 1-hour.
(I had to go to work therefore it was in the fridge for 6-hours).
**Why chill the dough?  The dough will spread less when baking.

*Use either a Tbsp or tsp scoop (I used Tbsp scoop) and scoop out the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.  They won't spread because of the chilling; therefore they will have a dome-appearance.

*Bake for 10-minutes.
**When checking for doness, check the bottom of the cookies for them to be slightly-brown
 (not the tops--they will be light).
*Let the cookies rest on the cookie sheet/pans until cool.
(Yes, the tops of the cookie will look like their not done, but don't worry.
The cookie will still cook on the cookie sheet/pan).




***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and then omit any salt requested in the recipe.
You should do what you feel is best.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment