Thursday 25 April 2013

Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies

I purchased some butterscotch chips but I couldn't remember why.

I had seen a cookie recipe that contained butterscotch chips but I don't remember where I stored the recipe.   I do that.
Find a recipe or a blog and go back to it later.
Except this time, I can't find it anywhere.

What the heck am I going to do with all these butterscotch chips?
It isn't everyday you find a recipe that uses butterscotch.
I went to Food Gawker and even that site was pretty limited in butterscotch cookies.

The only one that kind of appealed to me was Two Peas In Their Pod website.

I went to Google. 
Again, I found plain butterscotch cookies but no real add-ins (besides chocolate chips). 
I did find Pumpkin & Butterscotch...um....I didn't like that combination.
I wanted Oatmeal and Butterscotch cookies.

Therefore I had to adapt the Two Peas In Their Pod recipe.
I have never done this before, I was so scared.  What if I screw up?
I thought about leaving the oatmeal out but then I really wanted the Butterscotch and Oatmeal combination.

I tried my best.
I used 1-cup of quick-rolling oats (not instant).
Using 1-cup, was okay, you can kind of see the oats.  I wanted them to showcase more.
Next time I will use more. 
I was using a Hand Mixer to mix all the ingredients and I found the dough to be thick.
I think this is the reason why I stopped at 1-cup. 
I didn't want to break my Hand Mixer.

Please see http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/butterscotch-pudding-triple-chip-cookies/
for the original posting for Butterscotch Cookies.
Their pictures will want you to start baking immediately.

Or you can see below, at my attempt of creating something.
Next time I think I will stick to the original recipe.  I don't have the confidence in trying something on my own.  Yet.

The cookie is soft.
The butterscotch flavour does come through.  Not over-powering.   Nice.
I liked the oatmeal because it didn't make the cookie too sweet.
:)



Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1-pkg. Jell-O Instant Butterscotch Pudding Mix (99 grams)
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-rolling oats (not instant)
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

*Preheat the oven to 350F.
Line the cookie sheet/pan with either a Sil-Pat mat (I do) or parchment paper.
*Beat together the butter and sugars until light and creamy.
*Add the pudding mix, eggs and extract.  Mix until well-blended.
*In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, oatmeal and baking soda. (dry ingredients).
*Add the dry ingredients to the batter.  Please mix just until all is incorporated.
*Stir in the chips (all of them).  Again, stir only until all is incorporated.
*Using either a Tablespoon or teaspoon scoop (depending on the size of the cookie you want), scoop out the dough and place on the lined cookie sheet/pan.
*Bake at approx. 8-10 minutes (depending on the scoop you chose and/or your oven temperature)
or until cookies edges look golden.
*Let cookies rest on cookie sheet/pan for approx. 1-2 minutes.
*Transfer to a wire-rack to let cool.

**Once cooled, you may store the cookies in an air-tight container.
:)



***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt requested in recipes.
You should do what you feel is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment