Monday 18 February 2013

Jam Financiers

Once I start baking something, I do it quite often until I get exhausted from it and I don't want to see it for awhile.  This is how it is going to be with Financiers.
I am going to try numerous recipes until I find one that I can say is my favourite. 
I usually keep two favourites.  One different from the other; usually one tradional and one modern recipe.
I am still searching.

I must say I do like this recipe much better.  More flavourful, it must have been the coconut.
I think this is the 'different' recipe.  We will see.

This blog I found via Food Gawker.
It is in Spanish.  Thank you Google Translate.
*In the original recipe, she states she mixes the flour with the yeast.
There is no 'yeast'.  The 'yeast' I believe is the baking powder.

She also uses the metric system to bake. 
I found that hard part was finding the conversions to the US baking system.  (grams to cups).
I was thankful to have a kitchen scale.  This was so much easier to measure out the ingredients.

http://cocinerando.blogspot.ca/2012/01/financiers-rellenos-de-frambuesa.html

I made 10 Financiers. 
I have different Financiers molds.  I have the tradional 'bar' molds and also (in this case)
the 'round' molds.

I placed berry jam on top of the Financiers for the last 5-minutes of baking.
I loved it and my family enjoyed them as well.
We will make these again; with and without the jam.
*The original recipe, she uses raspberries and adds them before the last 5-minutes of baking.
When I add my jam, she added the raspberries.  (approx. 20 to her rectanglar molds).



Jam Financiers

1/2 cup butter, melted
100 grams granulated sugar
100 grams all-purpose flour
5 large egg whites
50 grams shredded coconut
50 grams ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder

*In a small bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder.
*Add the remaining dry ingredients (sugar, coconut and almonds) and mix.
*In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff and firm.
We are adding to the dry mixture with a stirring motion. (combine until blended).
*Melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave. Then incorporate, whisking slowly, to combine everything.
*Fill 3/4 of the rectangular financier molds or mini-cakes or the round financier molds.
*Bake 15-minutes at 350 ºF.  They should be golden-brown or spring back when touched.
(IF using fruit, in this case raspberries or placing jam on top, remove molds from oven after
8-minutes and add fruit or jam.  Then place back into oven).
**I find with silicone molds, they tend to bake quickly.**
*Remove and let cool completely on wire rack before sprinkling a little confectioners' sugar
to decorate.



***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and omit the salt requested in the recipe.
You should do what you feel is best.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment