Monday 18 February 2013

Blueberry Financiers

I LOVE things French.
I love the language, the fashion, the wine, the country (haven't been there yet), the architecture, their style, their fragrances and their food.
I love baking Madeleines and now I wanted to try baking Financiers.

What are Financiers?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financier_(cake)     Thank you Wikipedia for explaining them best.

I found this 'cake' to be light and tasty.  I was glad I put blueberries in them.  I did use frozen blueberries but they worked just as well as fresh.

The silicone financier mold I had, I am not sold. 
I prefer using metal. 
I find with the silicone mold, while baking the 1st time, they stunk.  Literally.
 The second time around, I used Wilton Cake Release instead of buttering my mold and I placed a baking sheet under the silicone mold.  That helped a lot!  But the smell was still there.
It did not however, affect my Financiers.  Thank goodness!
I will invest next time in a metal Financier pan.

I found the dough of the Financiers a bit different to work with.
It didn't seem to be enough for my mold. They came out small.
It did make 12 Financiers.

http://cherryonacake.blogspot.ca/2011/02/plum-financiers.html



Blueberry Financiers

3/4 cup (1  1/2-sticks) butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup ground almonds
6 large egg whites
2/3 cup all-purpose flour

*Put the butter in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-heat; stirring occasionally.
Allow the butter to bubble until it turns a deep brown.  It will smell nutty.
(Pay close attention, don't turn your back because once it turns black, you will have to start over).
*Pull the pan from the heat and keep in a warm place.

*Mix together the sugar and almonds in a medium-saucepan.
*Stir in the egg whites.
*Place the pan over low-heat, stirring constantly; heat the mixture until it is runny and slightly white.
Approx. 2-minutes.
*Remove from heat and stir in the flour.
*Gradually mix in the melted butter.

*Transfer the batter to a bowl, cover with plastic-wrap, pressing it against the surface of the batter  to create an airtight seal.
*Chill for at least an hour.  Up to 3-days covered in the fridge.

*Preheat oven to 400F.
Use center rack.
*Butter or use Wilton Cake Release in the molds, for easy removal of cakes.
Place the molds, if you wish on a baking sheet/pan for easy transport.

*Fill each mold almost to the top with batter.
**Bake for approx. 5-minutes and then remove from oven, place blueberries on top.
(We do this so the blueberries don't sink to the bottom while baking).
**Place back in the oven for approx. 5-minutes more or
until the Financiers are golden and springy to the touch.
*Once removed from the oven, overturn the Financiers from their molds, and allow to cool at
room-temperature, right-side up on wire-racks.




***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt requested in recipes.
You should do what you feel is best.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment