Tuesday 18 September 2012

Pizzelles

Okay, so I made the Chocolate Pizzelles and to my surprise they were great!
So, now...I want to make the plain ones like my mom's.  I search the internet and find this great site, and I proceed to make them. 

These are easy, and taste great too. 
They don't taste like my mom's but I don't think I can ever surpass my mom's Pizzelles. 
She has been making them for years!

http://gracessweetlife.com/2011/07/pizzelle-ferratelle-italian-waffle-cookies/

**I have changed a bit of the recipe.

**Please Note: You must have a Pizzelle Iron in order to make the Pizzelles.

6 large eggs
10 Tbsps oil (I used canola)
1  1/3 cups of granulated sugar
3  3/4cups of all-purpose flour
2 tsp pure anise extract
1 tsp pure vanilla extract (optional)

*Preheat your Pizzelle Iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
  (To prevent Pizzelle from sticking to iron it is best to have the iron heating for at least 10 minutes after it’s come to baking temperature).

*Depending on your Pizzelle Iron, you may or may not need to oil, or Pam Spray the Pizzelle's Iron plate to stop the Pizzelles from sticking.  Please follow the manufacturer's instructions.

*In a large-sized bowl,  beat together eggs, oil, and sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
*Reduce speed to low medium; gradually add the flour and beat until well combined.
*Add the anise extract and beat just to combine.
*Add the vanilla extract, if adding, and again beat just to combine.

*You may want to dip your spoon in a bit of vegetable/canola oil or spray with Pam Spray. 
The reason for this is for the batter not to stick on the spoon.  The batter will be thick and sticky.
I use the Pam Spray.

*Spoon a walnut sized amount of dough onto waffle iron.
(Place dough in front of middle-point of the pizzelle.  The reason for this is the dough will push back and spread.  You will have to try 2-3 pizzelles before you get the hang of it.  This way the pizzelle will come out perfectly).

*Bake until lightly golden, about 45 to 60 seconds (depends on your iron).
(If you want a softer, chewier Pizzelle bake for less time (remove when blonde in colour).

*Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
(If you want a softer, chewier Pizzelle, place on a tea towel-lined wire rack.)



Yield: depends on the Pizzelle Iron.  I made 30 Pizzelles.

1 comment:

  1. Same recipe as my grandmothers, except, we only put 2 cups of flour and 1 cup of canola oil, same amount of sugar. Yours has almost 4 cups which I assume would make the pizzelles thicker and cakey. Ours are very thin and crispy, absolutely to die for. We also add a tsp. of almond extract. Absolutely no baking powder or soda, which some folks do and I think that ruins the pizzelle.

    ReplyDelete