Monday 17 September 2012

Chocolate Pizzelles

While my friends were enjoying chocolate chip cookies, my mom was in the kitchen making pizzelles.  Back then, no one except Italians knew what they were. 
While my teachers got chocolates from the other kids at Christmas, my mom sent me to school with pizzelles for the teachers.  I got some wierd looks.

Pizzelles were made for weddings,  celebrations, birthdays, Christmas, Easter, as a thank you, or when company was coming.
We ate them with jam, honey, fruit, Nutella, or with ice-cream.  Or just ate them plain. 
We sometimes dunked them in our coffee.  My mom always made the plain pizzelles.  No one thought of making chocolate pizzelles back then. 

Pizzelles are an Italian cookie. 
Pizzelles of the past were made on irons embossed with the family crest or other symbols of meaning. They were baked individually on these irons which were held over the top of an open flame. I remember my mom using the stove top before an electric pizzelle iron.
Now, pizzelles are still embossed but with a waffle pattern on one side and a floral pattern on the other.
Anise is the “traditional” flavor of the pizzelle.


For the history, please see below....

http://www.pizzellecookies.com/about/history-pizzelle/

Years later when I grew up and was shopping in New York, I came across a Pizzelle Iron and I thought....why not?!
Before I could even use it, my mom made pizzelles with my iron with my girls.  (I have two daughters).  She had to see if I made a good purchase.  It passed.  As for that recipe, I didn't get one.  She has the recipe in her head and makes it from memory.  No, she will not write it down.  So much for passing the recipe down.

**Please Note:  In order to make Pizzelles, you must have a Pizzelle Iron.

I finally got to make what I wanted....Chocolate Pizzelles.

http://www.stephchows.blogspot.ca/2009/01/chocolate-pizzelles.html

**I adapted the recipe.
**These were easy to make and tasted great!!

3 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder

*Beat eggs, add sugar gradually, add melted butter
*Mix flours, cocoa, & baking powder
*Add dry mixture to wet gradually

*Drop spoonfuls on a hot pizzelle iron and cook according to iron instructions
*Remove and cool on a wire rack, or roll into ice cream cone shape and set aside to cool.

:)



No comments:

Post a Comment