Monday 17 September 2012

Citrus Cornmeal Shortbread

What can I say?  I can't get enough of cornmeal.  Maybe I will make muffins later.  I do have to use up the cornmeal I purchased.  How else can I use it?  Cooking...no.  I hate cooking.

Yes, this is a Martha Stewart recipe.  This was in the beginning before I was introduced to blogs.
My first blog that I went to?

  http://www.whisk-kid.com/

Then I was sold.  I read blogs in my spare time.

*** I am sorry, I don't have a picture for this recipe.  The pictures did not come turn out.  Some days my camera works, other times, it doesn't.   I need to invest in a camera.


http://www.marthastewart.com/354145/citrus-cornmeal-shortbread

**I adapted the recipe.

Citrus Cornmeal Shortbread

1 cup (2-sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1  1/2 tsp orange zest
Used freshly squeezed orange juice (from 1-orange)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
  2 Tbsps. yellow cornmeal
  1 tsp coarse salt


*Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes. 
*Add vanilla and zest. 
*Mix until combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. 
*Reduce speed to low. 
*Add flour, 2 tablespoons cornmeal, and salt; mix until well combined, about 3 minutes. 
*Halve dough; shape each into a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. 
*Wrap each in plastic, and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour.
*Preheat oven to 300 degrees. 
*Place remaining 1/4 cup cornmeal on a sheet of parchment paper. 
*Roll log in cornmeal to coat. 
*Cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, and space them 1 inch apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. 
*Bake until pale golden, 25 to 30 minutes. 
*Cool on sheet on a wire rack.


Please Note:  I always use Salted Butter and then omit the Salt in the recipe.
You should do what you feel is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment