Monday 11 August 2014

Breakfast Plum Jam Cake

I know I have mentioned it before that my mom used to make a cake like this.
Except she would use her homemade grape jam and raisins.
So, when I came across this recipe, I had to make it.

Memories.
Funny how they just pop up.
Anything can trigger a memory.
This cake did this to me.

I called this cake a breakfast cake because it is pretty hardy.
It rises up or puffs out while baking.

The recipe asked for 1-cup yoghurt.
I know you could use sour cream as a substitute.
Except I didn't have that either.
Therefore I used 1-cup buttermilk.

You could use any flavour of jam that you would like.
I did use 1/2 jar of my homemade plum jam.

I doubled the recipe because I used a 20x30 glass baking pan.
Perhaps that is why it was so hardy.
*The recipe below is not doubled. 

I used one bowl and a hand mixer.
How easy is that?

My family loved this.
We had it for breakfast with our espresso.
Except my boys (my son and husband) had it with Olvatine.



Original recipe from Smakocie



Breakfast Plum Jam Cake

3 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup buttermilk
pinch of salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow plum jam

*Preheat oven 350F.
Either line your baking dish with parchment paper or butter your baking pan with butter (I did this).
Baking dish 15x15.
*Beat all ingredients together (except the jam) until everything is all-incorporated.
*Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
*Spoon the plum jam into different parts of the batter (on top).
*Using a fork, swirl the jam all around the batter.  To give it that whirl look.
The darker the jam, the better the look.
*Bake for approx. 30-minutes. or until a toothpick comes out clean in the middle.
*Remove from oven and let cool on a wire-rack for approx. 15-minutes.
*Serve warm (which is what I did).



Enjoy!
:)





No comments:

Post a Comment