Saturday 8 March 2014

Chocolate Nut Biscotti

Sometimes while baking you taste the dough.
And well...
Sometimes the dough really tastes good.
This was the case here.
I am suppose to be rolling the dough into logs but I can't stop eating the dough.

Everything was just right.
I chopped the chocolate into chunks.
The chunks were uneven.  Some chunky pieces, some not-so-chunky.

I guess you could have used walnuts, but I had almonds on hand.
I love nuts in my cookies and/or biscotti.
And now that my girls braces are off, I can do that.
(They just can't bring the goodies to school).

Everything just blended well together.
And the taste was fantastic!

The biscotti were very crumbly.
Therefore, make sure the logs are fully cooled before cutting into biscotti. !!

Ghirardelli  is where this recipe originally came from.

Chocolate Nut Biscotti

4 ozs Unsweetened Chocolate, chopped
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp instant coffee
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cup all-purpose flour
1  1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter, room-temperature
3/4 cup yellow sugar
1 cup almonds, roughly-chopped

*Preheat oven 350F.
*Line a baking sheet/pan with either a Sil-Pat mat or parchment paper.
*Stir the eggs, instant coffee and vanilla together in a small bowl.  Set aside.
*In another bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
*Using a paddle-attachment, beat together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
*Add the egg mixture and mix.
*Gradually add the flour mixture, until everything is combined.
*Add the chocolate and nuts, mix until everything is evenly distributed.

*Divide the dough into half, and roll onto a slightly-floured surface.
Shaping the dough into logs.
Making sure both logs are of the same size for baking evenly.
*Bake for approx. 25-30 minutes or until logs are firm to the touch and/or slightly-golden in colour.
*Remove from oven and place onto a wire-rack to cool.

**Make sure the logs are cool before cutting.

*Using a serrated knife (the knife that looks zig-zag), cut the biscotti diagonally and
place onto the baking sheet/pan.
I cut mine a bit on the thick-side.  I made 26 biscotti.

*Bake the biscotti onto its side for 5-minutes.
*Remove from oven, turn the biscotti onto the other side and bake for another 3-5 minutes

***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt requested in the recipe.

Enjoy!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment