Tuesday 28 January 2014

Vanilla Malt Cake with Vanilla Malt Frosting

This past weekend my son turned 9!
NINE.
I can't even imagine where the time went because it seems like yesterday he was just starting school.
This is the last time, he'll experience being in the single-digit birthdays.
My baby is growing up.
I don't like it.
He has even started talking about...
girls.
NO!

That is enough about him.
Let's talk about this blog where I found this beautiful cake.
Which I knew would be just right for my son.



I have used Hungry Rabbit before (to make my husband's birthday cake), so I knew this would work out well too.
This is my new favourite blog.
His cakes are amazing!  The pictures, the food, the everything!!!
I have a lot to learn.

*The recipe calls for Cake Flour and mine had expired (yes, flour, I found out does expire) and
not being able to drive to the store, I had to improvise.
*Therefore, for every 1-cup of all-purpose flour, you remove 2 Tbsp of the flour and then
add 2 Tbsp of cornstarch.
**The recipe states to use 1  3/4 cups Cake Flour.
** I:  added 1  3/4 cups all-purpose flour,
          removed 3 Tbsp of the flour,
          added     3 Tbsp of cornstarch.

The cake is yum.
You can taste the malted powder, which to me was super yum.
Best of all, my family liked the cake too; especially the birthday boy.



Vanilla Malt Cake

4 large eggs, room-temperature
1/2 cup coconut milk, room-temperature  (I used the can.  Please make sure it is unsweetened)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1  3/4 cup cake flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup malted milk powder (I used Olvatine, vanilla)
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup butter, room-temperature

*Preheat oven to 350F.
Butter 3 (6 inch) cake pans. 
Line the bottoms of the cake pans with either wax paper or parchment paper (I used parchment paper)
Butter again, the bottoms and sides of the pan with the lining in it.
Set aside.

*In a small bowl, whisk together (I used a fork) eggs, milk and vanilla.
Set aside.
*In another bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, malted milk powder and baking powder.
Set aside.
*Using a paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1-minute.
*Slowly add the dry ingredients with the butter on low-speed until all is incorporated.
*Add half of the egg mixture to the flour mixture, and beat until light and fluffy on medium-speed.
*Add the other half and beat again; on medium-speed.

*Divide the batter evenly between the 3-cake pans. 
Making sure to even out the tops of the cakes.
*Bake for approx. 20-minutes or until the cake comes out golden or when a knife comes out clean.
*Let the cake cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from pans.
*Once cooled, remove from pans and place on a wire-rack to cool completely.
**Let cake cool completely before frosting.

Vanilla Malt Frosting

1/4 cup coconut milk
1  1/4 cup malted milk powder (I used Olvatine)
1  1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1  1/2 cup butter, room-temperature
1  1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted

*In a small saucepan, warm (do not boil) the coconut milk.
*Remove from the heat, and add the malted milk.  Stir.  Set aside.
*Using a whisk-attachment, beat the butter until smooth.
*Add the sugar and beat together until all is incorporated.
Remember to scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl.
*Increase the speed and slowly add the malt-mixture until all is incorporated.
Again, making sure you scrape the bottom of the bowl.

Assemble:

*Place one cake on a plate, and frost the top,
place another cake on top, frost the top,
place the last cake on top.
*Frost the sides 1st, and lastly the top.



You will have enough frosting  for it all. 
I am heavy-handed and I had more than enough.
Even enough for licking the bowl afterwards.



***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt requested in recipes.
You should do what you feel is best.

Enjoy!
:)





No comments:

Post a Comment