Thursday 30 January 2014

Cornmeal Thumbprints

I made these just before Christmas.
(2013.  I haven't had time to blog since then).
(Actually, I have done a lot of baking since October.  Sorry, no time to blog).

Thumbprints remind me of Christmas.
And I wanted to make a variety of Thumbprints for my Christmas baking.
I got around to making two kinds.
:(

I actually liked these.
Then again, I like cornmeal.
I like the texture it provides.

I will make these again.

merci  une gamine dans la cuisine

Cornmeal Thumbprints

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, room-temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly-packed
1 large egg
1/2 tsp pure almond extract
      1/3 cup jam (you may use any flavour, I used raspberry)
     
*In a medium-bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Set aside.
*Using a paddle-attachment, beat together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
*Add the egg and extract; and beat again.
*Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until all is combined.
(Remember to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl).
*Cover the bowl in plastic-wrap and refrigerate for approx. 45-minutes.

*Preheat oven to 350F.
Line the baking sheet/pan with either a Sil-Pat mat (I use this) or parchment paper.

*In a small bowl, aggressively stir the jam of your choice; to loosen it up.
(I didn't think it would matter to do this step.  However, I found it easier to place the jam in the hole of the cookie).

*Remove bowl from fridge and using either a Tbsp scoop (I used this) or
a measurement of your choice, scoop out the dough into balls.
*Place on the prepared baking sheet/pan; spacing apart approx. 2-inches apart.
*Either using the bottom of a wooden spoon (I used this) or your finger, make a small indent in the middle of the ball (making sure you don't go through to the bottom of the ball).
*Spoon the jam into the hole. 
I used an espresso spoon or you may use a baby's spoon or the opposite end of a regular-size spoon.
**In between baking, the bowl should be placed back into the fridge.

*Bake for approx. 10-minutes (depending on how big you made the Thumbprints to be)  or
until the cookies are golden along the edges.
*Let the cookies rest on the baking sheet/pan for approx. 5-minutes before transferring to a wire-rack to cool completely.
**Be careful when removing, because the jam is Hot.


***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt requested in the recipe.
You should do what you feel is best.

Enjoy!
:)



No comments:

Post a Comment