Monday 9 December 2013

Italian Pear Cake

Word for the day?
Pear.

Pears can be used in savour dishes, with cheeses, nuts, puff pastry and fruits.
My favourite salad is Pear & Spinach Salad.
One day I'll share this recipe with you.

And pears can be used in baking (sweet).
In cakes, muffins, pies and cookies.

There are many different types of pears.
Bosc (which is what my mom's pear tree is and what I used to bake),
Red Barlett, Green Anjou, Asian Pears and I can go on.

*I did not have caster sugar, therefore I used granulated sugar.

*I also did not have corn flour, therefore I used cornstarch. (which is the same thing).
http://www.talkfood.com/forum/showthread.php/1457-Help-Corn-Flour-Substitute
(see the 4th paragraph down).

This recipe is originally from http://mimithorisson.com/2012/04/24/italian-pear-cake/
which she got from her Italian uncle.  Thank goodness!

Italian Pear Cake

5 small pears; peeled, cored, and diced
1  1/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 Tbsp baking powder
*1/4 cup cornstarch, sifted
3 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter + 1 Tbsp (butter should be soft)
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)

*Preheat oven 350F.
Line the cake pan with parchment paper (I used two 8-inch cake pans).
*In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and cornstarch.  Set aside.
*Beat together the eggs and sugar on medium-speed for approx. 1-2 minutes.
*Slowly add the flour mixture, mix well.
*Add the butter, the batter will now be smooth.
*You can either stir in the pears using a rubber spatula and then pour the batter into the prepared cake pans  (I did this) or
you can pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and then drop the pears into the batter.
(pushing the pears down with a fork or spoon).
*Bake for 30-minutes or when a toothpick is inserted it comes out clean.
*Cool on wire-rack before removing from cake pan.
*Make sure cake is completely cool before sprinkling confectioners' sugar. (optional).

***Please Note:   I always use salted butter and then omit the salt requested in the recipes.
You should do what you feel is best.

Enjoy!
:)




No comments:

Post a Comment