Tuesday 3 September 2013

Pear Poppy Seed Cake

Very simple dessert.
There is nothing simple about this cake.
It has flavour!
You can taste the pear, the honey, the poppy seeds and oh, the goodness!

When I think of cake, I think of cake made by Sweetapolita.
Check out Sweetapolita's website.
http://sweetapolita.com/category/fancy-cakes/
Now that is cake!

Not to be out done, this is cake too.
Similar to a coffee cake but not as dry.
It is light and moist.
And oh, so good!
I know I said that already, but it is true.
And everyone liked it!
I did too, and I am picky.

I wanted to use up the pears I picked from my mother's tree in her backyard.
I had already made a pear crisp and I wanted to try something different.
Came across this blog (her pictures are amazing!) and I knew I had to bake the cake.
Mmmm...
http://www.violeta-pasat.com/2013/05/bolo-invertido-de-pera-com-sementes-de-papoila.html

This cake is similar to an Upside-down Pineapple Cake except without the pineapple.
Pears are used instead.

I know my pictures are bad.
I had 3 slices left when I discovered I hadn't taken any pictures!
I would have loved to show you how the whole cake turned out.
I dusted it with confectioners' sugar and it looked perfect.
This cake can be served both slightly-warm or cool (room temperature).
Please bake this and let me know what you think.



Pear Cake

Topping:   3-5 pears, peeled and cored (depending on the size of the pears)
                  3 Tbsp lemon juice
                  1/4 cup of butter, cubed + more for buttering the pan.
                  4 Tbsp honey

*Using a springform pan (medium-size), butter the sides and bottom of pan.
*Cut the pears in slices, lengthwise. Making sure the thickness is the same.
*In a small bowl, brush the pears with lemon juice.   Set aside.
*Place the pears on the bottom of the springform pan.
*Sprinkle the cubed butter on top of the pears.
*Drizzle the honey on top of butter and pears.   Set aside.

Cake:   3/4 cup all-purpose flour
            1/2 tsp baking soda
            2 Tbsp poppy seeds
            175 grams (roughly 3/4 cup) butter, softened
            1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar + 1/3 cup (75 grams) granulated sugar
            1 tsp pure vanilla extract
            4 large eggs, separate the whites from the yolks
            dash of salt

*Preheat to 350F.

*In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and poppy seeds.
(dry ingredients).  Set aside.

*Using a paddle-attachment, beat together the butter and 1/2 cup sugar until pale and fluffy.
*Add the vanilla, and mix for 1-minute.   (butter-mixture).   Set aside.

*In a large bowl, using the whisk-attachment, whisk the egg whites with the dash of salt.
*Whisk until soft-peaks form and then slowly add the remaining sugar (1/3 cup) until
stiff-peaks form.
*Add the egg yolks, one-at-a-time mixing well after each addition.

*Slowly add the butter-mixture to the egg-mixture and whisk together.  Just until incorporated.
*Slowly add the flour-mixture.  Mix until combined.
*Pour batter onto prepared springform pan with pears.
*Bake for approx. 50-minutes or until the top is golden-brown and when a toothpick is inserted comes out clean.
*Let the cake sit in the pan while it cools.  Approx. 15-minutes.
*Remove the sides of the pan.
*Invert it onto a wire-rack.
*Let cool.




*** Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter in recipes and then omit the salt requested.
You should do what you feel is best.
*In this case, I did use Salted Butter and also added the salt (sea salt) with the egg whites.



No comments:

Post a Comment