Sunday 1 September 2013

Creamy Peach Popsicles

Today is September 01 and I have a love-hate relationship with September.

September to me means New Beginnings.
Not January, where a new calender year starts.
Mine is September, where a new school year begins.

The beginning of September means summer vacation has ended.
Today is usually the day that the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) ends, which means the summer has ended.
Love.
Eating healthier, back to sport programs, staying in shape more, and volunteering for
my son's school.
Hate.
Back to homework, traffic, shuffling to-and-fro (feeling like a taxi-driver), feeling tired, it gets
darker faster, colder, and more rigid routine.

Therefore today I wanted to make something that reminded me of summer, just before it slips away.

I made popsicles.
Today is cloudy and humid.
A terrible day to bake because you feel you have been placed in an oven and you don't want your kitchen to be any hotter than it already is.

Peach popsicles.
Peach reminds me of the last days of summer.
I personally don't like peaches (never have) but we had a neighbour gives us some from her
tree in the backyard.
We used fresh peaches for a peach crumble, grilled peaches with ice-cream on top and lastly I decided the popsicles would be a great idea to use up all the peaches.

Checked www.foodgawker.com for ideas and came across this blog.

http://www.horsesandheels.com/2013/08/peach-cheesecake-popsicles/

Looking at her blog makes you want to jump right in and retrieve the popsicles yourself.

*The recipe asked me to use peach yoghurt.  I used sour cream instead.

I used the small popsicle molds, by Betty Crocker (I made 6).
My kids loved them.
Just the right creamness.

I would make these again.
And I would try it with other fruits, such as berries.



Creamy Peach Popsicles

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
6 ounces sour cream
1/2 confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/4 milk (I used 2%)
3/4 cup diced peaches
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted

*Either in a small bowl, mix well the cream cheese, yoghurt/sour cream, sugar, milk
and peaches.
Or in a blender, combine the cream cheese, yoghurt/sour cream, sugar, milk and peaches
until all together.
*Spoon the mixture into the molds.
(depending on your molds.  I spooned until they were 1/2-way up the molds).
Leave a space for the graham cracker crumbs; approx. 1-inch.
Also remember that once you put the stick/holder in, you don't want the mixture to overflow.
*Mix the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter together until the crumbs hold together.
Place crumb-mixture on top of the liquid-mixture.
*Place the stick/holder in the middle of the mold. 
*Freeze for approx.  4-hours or as long as possible.

To remove from the molds, I ran the molds until very hot water.



***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter in my recipes.
In this case, using the graham cracker crumbs and butter, my butter was salted butter.
You should do what you feel is best.

:)







No comments:

Post a Comment