Thursday 25 April 2013

Banana Whoopie Pie Cookies

I was hosting a small get together and all had requested I bake Whoopies.
It was the summer and I wanted a Whoopie to match.

When I told my family that I was going to bake banana flavoured whoopies, they cried, "Oh no, mom...not banana!  Yuk!"
I am glad I stood by my guns and didn't listen.

The flavour was spot on.
These and my Lemon Raspberry Whoopies were a tie.

I prefer to have my Whoopies the day I make them.
You may store unfilled and filled Whoopies for up to 1-day in an air-tight container.

This is a Martha Stewart recipe.
http://www.marthastewart.com/339333/banana-whoopie-pies

These made 18 Whoopies for me.
I used a teaspoon scoop.



Banana Whoopie Pie Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 large ripe banana, mashed (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup (1-stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

*Preheat oven to 350F.
Line the cookie sheets/pans with either Sil-Pat mats (I use Sil-Pat) or parchment paper.
*Whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
*In a separate bowl, mix the banana and sour cream.
*In another bowl, beat butter and sugars with a mixer on medium-high speed until light and creamy.
*Add egg and vanilla extract until everything is incorporated.
*Add the banana-mixture in 2-additions. 
*Alternating with the flour-mixture.
*Using either a pastry bag filled with a 1/2-inch tip or
using a filled Zip-Loc bag and cutting a corner piece off and using that as a pastry bag or
(what I did) use a teaspoon scoop (or Tablespoon scoop--depending on size you want to make your Whoopies).
*Pipe or scoop out the batter onto the prepared cookie sheets/pans; spacing 2-inches apart.
*Bake for approx. 12 minutes (depending on size used and oven-temperature) or
until edges are golden.
*Place cookies with parchment paper onto wire-racks to cool.
**Make sure the whoopies are cool before filling and assembling.

Cream Cheese Frosting

16-ounces cream cheese, softened  (2-pkgs of 8 ounces of cream cheese)
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

*Beat cream cheese, sugar and extract with a mixer on medium-speed until smooth.

Assemble

*Pipe or spoon 1-Tablespoon of the cream cheese frosting onto a flat-side of the Whoopie.
*Sandwich with remaining cookie (using the flat-side).
**Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired.


***Please Note:   I aways use Salted Butter and omit the salt requested in the recipes.
You should do what you feel is best.

Enjoy!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment