Thursday 18 April 2013

Avocado Poppy Seed Cookies

I LOVE avocados.

The 1st time I had them was in guacamole.  My co-worker made it for me.  I couldn't stop eating.
Now I make my own guacamole (avocados, diced tomatoes, chopped spanish onions, garlic, lime, cilantro, asian hot sauce, kosher salt).

I love to eat them by themselves with a little kosher salt sprinkled on top.

I love them in sandwiches, or on top of a veggie burger.  Or in grilled cheese sandwiches.
http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/01/bacon-guacamole-grilled-cheese-sandwich.html

You can even use avocados in cakes and frosting.
I haven't tried this yet.
I will. This site looks good....
http://www.thecafesucrefarine.com/2013/04/avocado-cake-with-key-lime-buttercream.html

I did try to make avocado brownies.  Unfortunately they did not turn out.
I don't blame the recipe. 
The brownies looked great and smelled great.
Taste was something else.  See below for the original blog. 
(I told you I would let you know of my failures too).
http://kirantarun.com/food/2012/03/16/fudgy-cocoa-avocado-brownies/

I was reluctant to try to bake with anything to do with avocados again, but after seeing this site, I had to try again.
I didn't tell my kids what was in the ingredients until after they had tried it and liked it.

The recipe was a bit of a challenge.
Why? 
2 reasons.
1).  The recipe is in Bulgarian. 
I had to use Google Translate and sometimes I didn't get a correct translate. 
But thank God for Google Translate!!!!  One of the best inventions ever!
(besides indoor plumbing, electricity, microwave, oven and countless others).
2.)  The measurements are in metric (grams).
I use imperial (cups-US).
I had to use Google for that too.

Other than that, it was easy to do.

See the original blog http://alia.tropot.net/2011/09/15/%D0%B0vocado-cookies/

Tastes, really good!
I brought them to work.  My co-workers were surprised that it contained avocados.
Soft and the poppy seeds give it a nice crunch.
They are a light, and attractive cookie.
Will make them again without a doubt!!!

For more information containing Avocados, see below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado
For more information containing Poppy Seeds, see below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppy_seed



Avocado Poppy Seed Cookies

200 grams / a little more than 3/4 cup.  Not more than 1-cup  Butter
1 avocado
250 grams / 1-pkg cream cheese
280 grams / 3  1/2 cups confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
460 grams / 3  3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp poppy seeds

*Cut avocado in half, remove the stone, put the flesh in a large bowl.
*Beat the avocado with the butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar.
Make sure it is all incorporated.
*Add the vanilla and the poppy seeds.  Stir until it evenly distributed.
*Add the flour and baking powder.  Only mixing until all incorporated.
*Now knead with hands or use a spoon.
Dough will be thick, sticky, and soft. 

*Preheat oven to 180C / 350F.

*The blog states to use a star tip or one with a jagged-edge to pipe the cookies. (Wilton #1M tip).
Somehow, I couldn't get my piping to work.  Therefore, I used a 1-Tbsp scoop and flatten out the tops of the cookies with the bottom of a glass.

*Pipe dough in circular motion onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet/pan.
I use a Sil-Pat lined cookie sheet.
*Bake until a golden-colour.  Approx. 3-5 minutes, depending on your oven.
You want them to remain soft (a bit).
*Once removed from the oven, I kept them on the cookie sheet for 1-minute before I transferred them to a wire-rack to cool.



Store in an air-tight container.

Happy Baking!
:)




No comments:

Post a Comment