Thursday 31 January 2013

Vanilla Cupcakes

For week 3 of my piping class we needed to bring 6-already-made cupcakes.
We also learned some different techniques.
For me, I must remember that practise is key.  My work is awful and you can all have a good laugh.
It brings me to appreciate the hard work of other bloggers and cake/cupcakes/cookies.

Cupcakes are a small cake designed to be enjoyed by one person.
In other countries, cupcakes are named something else.
For example, in Britain, cupcakes are called Fairy Cakes.  (I like that).
In Australia, they are called Patty Cakes. (this reminds me of a child's game).
Personally, I prefer to have a slice of cake than a cupcake.
Either way, both are a work of art.

The 1st cupcake goes back as far as 1796!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupcake

A lot of people have perfected the cupcake since then.  One of those people is Billy Reece from Billy's Bakery, in NYC.  http://www.billysbakerynyc.com/
However, I got this recipe from the Martha Stewart website.
I LOVED the Vanilla Cupcake recipe.  These are Very Good.
  The recipe states it makes 30 cupcakes. 
I made 20.  I don't know how that happened.  Maybe I ate a few while counting.
Don't you try what you bake?  I do.  Well...apparently.   :(

http://www.marthastewart.com/353205/billys-vanilla-vanilla-cupcakes?center=276944&gallery=275387&slide=255457

The Vanilla Buttercream recipe at the bottom of the page (MS's page), I didn't use this time around for my piping.  Although, I have made it before and it Very Yummy.  Highly Recommended.
(I used the Wilton Icing, medium).



Vanilla Cupcakes

1  3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
1  1/4 cups, all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 cup (2-sticks) butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 large eggs
1 cup milk (2%)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

*Preheat oven 325F.
Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners; set aside.
*In a medium bowl, using the paddle-attachment, mix the both flours, and baking powder; until combined.
*Add the butter, mix until just coated with flour.
*In another bowl, mix together the eggs, milk and vanilla.
*With mixer on medium-speed, add wet ingredients (egg mixture) in 3-parts.
Remember to scrape down the sides of the bowl and making sure to get to the bottom of the bowl too.
*Beat until ingredients are incorporated.          Please do Not overbeat.
*Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.
*Bake for approx. 15-20 minutes or until golden-brown.
*Transfer to wire-rack to cool completely.
**Once cooled, you may frost and decorate how you wish.

**Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt requested in recipes.
You should do what you feel is best.

Enjoy!
:)

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment