Monday 22 October 2012

Strawberry-Shortcake Cookies

Strawberries, another summer fruit that I like.
They are pretty, bright, summery and tastes pretty good.  Especially when you bite into a sweet one.
When I was looking on how to use the strawberries I purchased, I found the Martha Stewart recipe for these cookies.

The reviews were not great and I was put-off.  Then I went to foodgawker and others had blogged about this cookie recipe and I thought, let me give it a try.
It can't be that bad, nothing can be as bad a my 'Honey cookies' which turned out like freesbies.
And NO, I will not post that recipe!  I kept the recipe and laugh everytime I come across it in my recipe book. 

**The original recipe states to do the Strawberry mixture, 1st. 
I disagree.  I found with the strawberries sitting while I went along making the batter was too long and they became juicy.  Once mixed, the batter became soggy and no longer worked.

These cookies looked amazing!
The taste?  For the cookies that were mixed right, were out-of-this-world! 
The ones, due to the dough not being able to mix correctly because of the liquid factor, they ended up tasting raw.
Would make again?  Yes.
Yield: 20 cookies.

http://www.marthastewart.com/315652/strawberry-shortcake-cookies




Strawberry-Shortcake Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
6 Tbsp (3-ounces) cold butter, cut into small pieces
 12-ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (2-cups)
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup + 1-tsp granulated sugar

*Preheat oven to 375F.
*In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and 7-Tbsps granulated sugar.
*With your fingers, rub in the butter (or use a pastry cutter and cut in the butter), until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
*Stir in the cream until dough starts to come together, 
*In a separate bowl, mix strawberries, lemon juice and 2-Tbsps granulated sugar.
*Now, add the strawberry mixture to the cream/crumb mixture and fold together.
**I personally think, the dough should be refrigerated for approx. 10 mins. to stiffen the dough a bit.
*Using a Tablespoon (or a 1 1/2-inch ice-cream scoop), drop dough onto baking sheets/pans lined with the Sil-Pat (or parchment paper); give them room, I found they spread a bit.
*Sprinkle with sugar (sanding sugar), and bake for approx. 25 mins or until golden-brown.

**The original recipe states you can store them for up to 1-day.
Personally, I think they do not keep well at all.
***Cookies are best served immediately and eat the same day. 

***I used Salted Butter therefore I did not add the required salt in the recipe.
You should do what you feel is best.
To see how much salt should be added, see the original recipe.

***Please let me know how yours turn out.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment