Tuesday 23 October 2012

Carrot Whoopie Pie Cookies

One of my daughters was going to be presented an award (from school) and to celebrate I decided to bake her a little something, to celebrate.  Actually, who needs an excuse to bake?  But this is a good one.  So, I asked her, what do you want me to bake for you?  Without missing a beat, her response?  Whoopie pie cookies.
Okay, what flavour?  She shrugged her shoulders, you decide.  That got me thinking...well....fall is here and I decided on carrot.

Went to FoodGawker and found this one.
These were moist, carroty and yummy.
I don't have a food processor, so I used my hand grater.
I have to say so far...the Lemon Raspberry were my favourite summer Whoopie BUT
this is my favourite fall/autumn Whoopie.

I have come across Tracey's Culinary Adventures blog before and I like her blog/photos.
http://traceysculinaryadventures.blogspot.ca/2011/04/carrot-cake-whoopie-pies.html

I have to change it a bit...Tracey's Carrot Whoopies contain ginger.
I am allergic to this therefore I did not add ginger.  :(

***When baking Whoopies, always bake one baking sheet/pan at a time.
(Actually I bake all my cookies, 1-baking sheet/pan at a time.  I never place 2-baking sheets in the oven at the same time).
***Also, please remember to use the center/middle rack when baking.



Carrot Whoopie Pie Cookies

Cookie:   2 cups all-purpose flour
               1  1/2 tsp baking soda
               1 tsp EACH OF baking powder, ground cinnamon and ground ginger
               1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
               1/2 cup butter, room temperature
               1/2 cup EACH OF packed brown sugar and granulated sugar
               2 large eggs
               1 tsp pure vanilla extract
               1  1/2 cups grated carrots (2  1/2 large carrots)

*Preheat oven 350F.
*In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger (if using, 1 tsp),
and nutmeg.
*In another bowl, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.
*Remember to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
*Add the eggs, one at a time beating after each addition.
*Mix in the vanilla.
*Add the dry ingredients and beat only until combined.
*Add the grated carrots, beat until all is mixed in completely.
*Refrigerate the batter for 30 minutes.
*Using either a heaping Tablespoon (I do this) or small cookie scoop drop the batter onto the Sil-Pat (or parchment paper) that is on the baking sheet/pan; place the batter approx. 2-inches apart.
*Bake for approx. 12 minutes (depending on how big you made your cookies out to be) OR
until the cookies spring back when gently pressed with your finger tip.
*Remove the cookies and place on wire racks (IF you don't have, don't worry...place on waxed paper.  This is what I do).






Cream Cheese Filling:   1/2 cup (8-Tbsp / 1-stick) butter, room temperature
                                       6-ounces (12-Tbsp) cream cheese, softened
                                       2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
                                       1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

*Using a whisk attachment, beat the butter and cream cheese on medium-speed until fluffy.
*Add the sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, remember to scrape the sides of the bowl and continue beating.
*Beat in the vanilla extract and continue beating for another minute until frosting is fluffy and smooth.

Assemble:   Using a heaping Tablespoon (or pipe) the frosting on the flat-side of the cookie and place another cookie (flat-side) on top.   Sandwich the cookies together.

**You can store the whoopies in an air-tight container IF there are any leftovers.

 


***Please Note:  I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt in the recipe.
You should do what you feel is best.

:)



No comments:

Post a Comment