Friday 13 March 2015

Citrus Poppy Seed Cookies

I love lemons.
I love oranges.
I love limes.
I pretty much love all citrus fruits.

That is why this cookie works well with any one of these fruits.
A delicate, light, flavourful cookie.
Pairs well with tea, ice-cream, pretty much anything.
Not sweet at all.
This cookie will soon be one of your favourites too.

The 1st time I made this cookie, I made it with lemons.
The flavour of lemon shone through.
Not over-powering at all.

Today, I made it with limes.
Both were exceptional.

You could inter-change the lime, or lemon, for orange.
That I will try next.
Or maybe...grapefruit!

The original recipe is from Martha Stewart
I did change up the recipe a bit.

I am a lazy baker.
Whatever makes it easier, I will opt for that.

I used a 1 Tbsp scoop and the recipe yielded approx. 45 cookies.

**The dough is quite soft, please remember to place the dough into the refrigerator for
approx. 1-hour prior to baking.
I also placed it into the fridge between baking.

You will love these cookies.

Citrus Poppy Seed Cookies

1 cup butter, room-temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
3 1/2 tsp freshly grated lime zest (or lemon zest or orange zest or grapefruit zest)
1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lime juice (or lemon juice or orange juice or grapefruit juice)
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp poppy seeds

*Using a paddle-attachment, beat together butter and sugar, until light and fluffy.
*Add the egg, zest, juice and extract; mix for approx. 3-minutes.
Remember to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
*Add the baking powder and flour and mix until smooth.
(You will notice the dough is soft.  It will firm up once you refrigerate it).
*Add the poppy seeds and only mix until everything is evenly distributed.

**Place dough in fridge for approx. 1-hour.
(I left the dough in the bowl and covered it with Siran-Wrap)

*Preheat oven 350F.
Line your baking sheets/pans with either Sil-Pat mat or parchment paper.  Set aside.
*Remove the dough from fridge.
*Using a 1-Tbsp scoop, scoop out the dough onto the prepared pans.
Spacing them 1 1/2-inches apart.
*Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are set.
(If you under-bake them, then they need to rest on the cookie sheet/pan for 2-minutes before removing them to place onto a wire-rack to completely cool).
(If you bake them, until firm to touch, remove from cookie sheet/pan immediately and move to a wire-rack to cool completely).
**In the meantime, your remaining dough should be placed in the fridge between baking.

***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt requested in the recipe.
You should do what you feel is best.

Enjoy!
:)

1 comment:

  1. Listing your business information on these Faridabad Local Business Directory increases online exposure and provides new avenues to reach potential customers.

    ReplyDelete