Wednesday 18 February 2015

Maple Cookies

There is a reason to my madness.
Sometimes.
When I have an ingredient, I go nuts in finding recipes that I can use that ingredient over and over again.

Introducing ...
Pure Maple Syrup.
Sure, you could pour it over your pancakes/waffles.
But...
Wouldn't you rather bite into a cookie, biscotti, or a muffin instead?
(I am only trying "sweet" recipes not savoury ones).

Now you will know why the next 2 recipes or maybe 3 will be about maple.

I also purchased Rosewater, Nutella, dried blueberries and variety of jams.
Will see what I come up with those in later posts.    :)

Back to my Maple Cookies.
They came out a bit crisp.
(I let them sit on the baking sheet for 1-minute before removing to a wire-rack to cool).
Nice maple flavour.
My family loved them.
We had them with tea and coffee.
My recommendation is don't let them sit in an air-tight container for longer than a few days.
(Then they become like a biscotti, except round).

The recipe states to use brown sugar, I used Muscovado sugar.
I would recommend just sticking to regular brown sugar.
The Muscovado sugar was also in one of my "purchases".
(sigh)

I used 1 Tbsp scoop for the cookies, which yielded 20 cookies.

The original recipe is from Happiness Is Homemade

Maple Cookies

used a little over 3/4 cup (198 grams or 1 3/4 sticks)  butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups Muscovado sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 Tbsp pure Maple Syrup (I used Medium grade)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
*3 Tbsp brown sugar + 3 Tbsp granulated sugar (for rolling the cookie in + sprinkling on top of the cookies)

*In a small sauce-pan, melt the butter over medium heat stirring often until the butter turns a golden brown.
(Not brown.  Trust me here.  We want 'brown butter' but that is only the term used to mean the           'golden brown' that is to be achieved.  I got it right on the 2nd try).
Remove from heat and let cool.  Approx. 15-minutes.

*In a small bowl, add the 3 Tbsp brown sugar and 3 Tbsp granulated sugar, stir together.  Set aside.

*Preheat oven 350F.
Line baking sheet/pan with parchment paper or Sil-Pat mat.  Set aside.
*Using a paddle-attachment on medium-speed, beat the cool butter and sugar until smooth.
*Add the egg yolk, egg, vanilla and maple syrup; beat for approx. 1-minutes.
Remember to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl after each addition.
*Add the baking soda, baking powder and flour and mix until all is combined.
*Using a Tbsp scoop, scoop out the dough onto the palm of your hands, and roll the dough into a ball.
*Roll the ball of dough into the "Sugars" and then place onto the baking sheet/pan.
*Flatten slightly using either the bottom of a glass or the palm of your hand.
*Bake for approx. 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
*Remove from oven, and I let the cookies rest onto the baking sheet/pan for 1-minute for a crisper cookie.
*Remove from baking sheet/pan onto a wire-rack to cool.

Enjoy!
:)

Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt requested in the recipe.
You should do what you feel is best.


No comments:

Post a Comment