Thursday 6 March 2014

Cranberry, Almond and White Chocolate Biscotti

I haven't been blogging but I sure have been baking.
I can't keep up with all the baking I have done.
I have now started taking orders from friends.
At this present time I am not charging.
Some dispute the idea.
They say I should charge for the ingredients, time, and electricity bill (that is the part that kills me).
Others understand, on why at this present time, I am not charging.
This might change if there is others wanting my cookies/biscotti/whoopie-pies/etc.

This biscotti was baked for one of my friends/co-workers.
(this is where the majority of my orders comes from).
She requested biscotti because they are usually low on fat (butter) and sugar.

Biscotti are easy to make.
I never thought so.
But now she has me trying all kinds of flavours.
She will be delighted when she receives this one.

This biscotti is almost cake-like, a bit crumbly and because of this, I only baked the one-side instead of both sides.
I added whole almonds. 
Next time, I will chop up the almonds therefore making it easier to cut into slices before baking again.

I did adjust the recipe for my friend/co-worker.
This recipe originally used 1-cup sugar, no nuts, 1/2 cup cranberries, 1/2 cup white chocolate chips.
I used 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup whole almonds, 3/4 cup dried cranberries, and 1/4 cup white chocolate chips.
I also did not soak the berries because the berries I was using were plump and fresh.

Great taste. 
Loved the almond flavour coming through.
I made 26 biscotti; keep in mind, I cut my biscotti rather on the thick-side.



See original recipe here Brown Eyed Baker



Cranberry, Almond, White Chocolate Biscotti

1/4 cup butter (4 Tbsp or 56.7 grams), room-temperature
1/2 cup yellow sugar + more for sprinkling (on top of biscotti before baking)
3 large eggs + 1 large egg, slightly-beaten (for brushing on biscotti before baking)
1  1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1  1/2 tsp pure almond extract
2 tsp baking powder
3 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup whole almonds (not toasted, optional)
1/4 cup white chocolate chips

*Preheat oven to 350F.
Line your baking sheet/pan with either a Sil-Pat mat (I use this) or parchment paper.  Set aside.
*Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
*Add the eggs, one-at-a-time, beating after each addition.
Remember to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl after each addition too.
*Add the extracts, and mix.
*While the mixer is on the lowest-speed, add in the baking powder and flour.
Mix until everything is incorporated.
*Add the cranberries, almonds and white chocolate chips and mix until everything is well-distributed.
Approx. 1-2-minutes.  Don't over-beat.

*Grab a handful of dough, and place onto a lightly-floured surface.
*Roll out the dough into a log. 
(I don't measure mine.  I use my judgement.  Making sure they are not too thick or too long.) 
(Each log looks basically the same.  This way they will bake evenly.)
(I made 3-logs).

*Brush the slightly-beaten egg on top of the logs and sprinkle sugar on top of the egg-wash.
This gives the biscotti a glossy-finish. 
This step is optional, but recommended.

*Bake for approx. 25-30 minutes or until slightly-golden on top and edges.

*Remove from oven. 
I remove the logs onto the wire-rack to cool for approx. 5-minutes before cutting.

**Once the logs are cooled, using a serrated knife, cut diagonally and place back onto the
baking sheet/pan to continue to bake for 5-minutes on the one-side of the biscotti.

*Remove from oven, and turn over the biscotti and bake for another 3-minutes onto the other side.
(I only baked the one-side, not two.  You could do either or).

*Let cool onto a wire-rack. 
And enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee or whatever you like to drink.

*To store: keep in an air-tight container for up-to a week.



***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt requested in recipes.
You should do what you feel is best.

Enjoy!
:)


No comments:

Post a Comment