Saturday 1 February 2014

Cream Cheese Cookies

Every cookie I bake has a story.
On why or how I chose the blog or cookie to copy from.
Having the blog or cookie recipe in a different language from English is not a deterrent.
I like trying cookie recipes from other countries and/or cultures.
A different story is told.
And I like stories.

One of my favourite sections in the library is 398.2 (fairy tale stories) and also
641.5 - 641.815 (food, including baking). 
Fairy tales and food always go together.
Well...also the Children Picture book section.  Where more stories are told.
:)

Anyways, back to the story on how this cookie came about.
Sometimes when I am bored I search the web to find a new recipe to try.
Other times I go back to Foodgawker or Pinterest to find some good suggestions.
I am sure this blog was found on one of my bored nights while searching the web.

This blog is written in Hebrew.
Original link,   mako.co.il

Translated into English, mako.co.il

Thank God for Google, Translate !!!

I  liked these cookies. 
They had a delicate flavour.

*I did have difficulty piping them, so after awhile, I gave up and made them round shape.
*Also, to give off a different texture, I added 1 Tbsp poppy seed to half of the dough.

Cream Cheese Cookies

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup butter (240 grams), room-temperature
85 grams (1/2 of the block) cream cheese, room-temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 Tbsp lemon zest
2 Tbsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbsp poppy seeds -- Optional

*Preheat oven to 350F.
Line the baking sheet/pan with either Sil-Pat mat (I use this) or parchment paper.  Set aside.
*In a medium-size bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder.  Set aside.
*Using a paddle attachment, beat together butter and cream cheese until it is creamy and smooth.
*Slowly add the sugar and continue beating.
*Add the egg, zest, and lemon juice (if using, poppy seeds).  Mix until all is incorporated.
(Remember to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl).
*Slowly add the flour mixture and until everything is evenly distributed.

**Place the dough into a piping-bag and pipe out any design of your choice.
(Make sure you space 2-inches apart on the prepared baking sheet/pan).
(Also, make sure the cookies are the same size.)
*Bake for approx. 10-minutes or until the edges are golden.
*Let the cookies rest on the prepared sheet/pan for approx. 10-minutes or until they are slightly cool;
before moving to a wire-rack to cool off completely.

**Since  I gave up piping half way, I used a Tbsp scoop, and scooped out the dough.
*I rolled the dough into a ball.
*Placed the ball  1  1/2-inches apart on the baking sheet.
*Using the bottom of a glass, I flattened the dough.
*Baked for approx. 10-minutes.
*Let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 2-minutes.
*Moved to a wire-rack to cool completely.

***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt requested in the recipe.
You should do what you feel is best.

Enjoy!
:)




No comments:

Post a Comment