Monday 3 February 2014

Cardamon Thumbprint Cookies

I like when the night before my kids tell me they need something to bring to the event or party they are going to the Next Day.
You had over 2-weeks notice.
I get the night before.
They knew I wouldn't be busy.
Well, I could have been going to the Book Lover's Gala and having my hair done and shopping for a new dress.

Forget about the notice, they also need about 30 cookies.
How many am I feeding?
It's Christmas and the time is giving.
What am I going to bake?
Don't worry, they found me a recipe that was going to be easy and good.

*I  used a Tbsp scoop measurement and ended up making approx. 45 cookies.
Some did get eaten on the way to the container.

The cardamon adds the hint of mystery and makes you wonder why you can't stop eating just one.
Which I heard is what happened when the kids got a hold of the cookies I baked.

*The recipe states to use almond flour with all-purpose flour.
I didnt' have almond flour therefore I just used all-purpose.

This recipe is a keeper.



Food and Wine  is where this recipe is from.



Cardamon Thumbprint Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
1/2 cup butter, room-temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup jam of your choice (I used raspberry jam)

*Preheat oven 350F.
Line your baking sheet/pan with either Sil-Pat mat (I use this) or parchment paper.  Set aside.
*In a small bowl, vigorously stir the jam for 30-seconds.  Set aside.
*In another small bowl, whisk together the flour and cardamon.  Set aside.
*Using a paddle-attachment, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
*Add the egg and vanilla and beat for a minute longer.
*Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until all is incorporated.
Remember to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
*Using your hand, knead the dough for a minute and form dough into a ball.

*Using a measurement of your choice (I used a Tbsp scoop) scoop out the dough into balls.
*Place on the prepared baking sheet/pan; spacing apart approx. 2-inches apart.
*Either using the bottom of a wooden spoon (I used this) or your finger, make a small indent in the middle of the ball (making sure you don't go through to the bottom of the ball).
*Spoon the jam into the hole.
I used an espresso spoon or you may use a baby's spoon or the opposite end of a regular-size spoon.

*Bake for approx. 10-minutes (depending on how big you made the Thumbprints to be) or
until the cookies are golden along the edges and firm.
*Let the cookies rest on the baking sheet/pan for approx. 5-minutes before transferring to a wire-rack to cool completely.
**Be careful when removing, because the jam is Hot.



***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and then omit the Salt requested in the recipe.
You should do what you feel is best.

Enjoy!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment