Thursday 24 January 2013

Funfetti Oreo Cake

Last night was day 2 of my piping classes.  There are 4 in total.
Cake decorating is hard.  My piping is pretty funny looking.
My teacher says practise is key.  I don't know if any amount of practise can help me.

We learned about the different frosting consistencies using buttercream (I love buttercream),
filling and icing the cake, pattern transfer using piping gel,  piping zig-zag and elongated shape.
We made the cupcake cake.  That means we piped a picture of a cupcake on top of our cake.
Mine is very funny looking. 
I'll post a pic later.  You all need a good laugh.  :)

Next week we are doing cupcakes.  That I think will be exciting.

Today is my son's birthday.  He turns 8.
I don't remember being 8.  Well...it was a long time ago.
He loves cake and anything sweet (just like me).
He tells people he doesn't have a sweet tooth, he has sweet teeth.  Smart, eh?

He is always telling me what kind of cake he wants for his birthday; even in July.
"For my birthday I want this kind of cake"....I scream, "Tell me in Jan NOT the summer!"

This time, I chose for him, when I showed him the blog where it came from, I got his okay.
Great, I need approval from an 8-year old.

The recipe states to use 'Birthday Oreo', I couldn't find any; therefore I used regular Oreos.
No problem.  I love Oreos.

*For the frosting, the recipe states to use Cheesecake Filling.  I didn't find Cheesecake Filling.
So, I did Step 4 of Martha Stewart's recipe.
http://www.marthastewart.com/858246/no-bake-cheesecake
*It used a lot of confectioners' sugar to make the frosting; I couldn't get it to thicken any other way.
*This makes a lot of frosting.  You may keep the frosting in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-weeks.  Or make another cake and use it that way.  :)

Original Blog, see below.
http://dough-puncher.blogspot.ca/2012/03/oreo-funfetti-cake-with-oreo-cheesecake.html



Funfetti Oreo Cake

1 box of White Cake Mix (prepare batter as directed.  I used Betty Crocker)
8 Oreos, roughly chopped
1/4 cup sprinkles (Rainbow Rounds)

*Preheat oven 300F.
*Grease / Butter / Spray (2) 8-inch-cake pans.  Along the sides and bottom of pans.
* Make the batter (follow the directions of the cake mix)
*Add the Oreos and sprinkles into the batter; mix together using a rubber spatula.
*Pour batter into the cake pans.
*Bake for approx. 45 minutes or until when toothpick is inserted comes out clean.
*Let cool.  Set aside.

Cheesecake, Funfetti, Oreo Frosting:   400 grams (14 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
                                                              1 can condensed milk
                                                              6 cups confectioners' sugar
                                                              1 tsp pure vanilla extract
                                                                 8 Oreos, roughly chopped
                                                                    food colouring (Optional)
                                                               sprinkles (outside of cake, to decorate)
                                                          
*Beat together cream cheese and condensed milk until smooth.
*Beat 1-cup at a time the confectioners' sugar.
Remembering to scrape down the sides after each cup is added.
*Add the vanilla, and beat until incorporated.
**Divide frosting into 2-bowls.
(2/3 of the frosting in one bowl and 1/3 of the frosting in another bowl).

*1/3 frosting:  Add in the chopped Oreos, stir; set aside.

*2/3 frosting:  Add food colouring to tint frosting, if desired.  Set aside. 
This frosting will be used to frost cake.

Assemble: 
*Once cake is cooled, place one-cake down on a cake plate or cake board, frost the top (filling) with the 1/3 mixture (the one with the Oreos).
*Place the other cake on top.
*Frost cake with the 2/3 mixture on top and sides of cake.
*Decorate with sprinkles or extra Oreos, if wished.

Enjoy!
:)


                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment