Wednesday 21 November 2012

Peanut Butter Whoopie Pie Cookies--Take I

Today is Halloween and the day before we had the pleasure of experiencing "Sandy" (Hurricane).
Luckily, we had power and no problems.  Well...except for all the detours I had to take in order in order to get around.  Let's say, I had to take the scenic route to wherever I was going.  A small price to pay, in compared to the other people.  I am lucky.

The kids are dressing up as a contruction worker, a gentleman, and diva. 
Me?  I am not dressing up this year.  Last year, I was an angel; which everyone laughed at.  
My friends, family and husband do not think of me as an angel.  What is wrong with them?
I am an angel.

Right now, I am baking chocolate chip cookies for my son's Halloween party at school.
The cookies are green.  On purpose!!
I am using the Jenn's  Famous Chocolate-Chip cookies (this is on my blog already) and just adding pretzels and green food colouring.

What I did make AND forgot to take pictures of is: Peanut Butter Whoopie Pie Cookies.
Which is a good thing that I didn't take pictures because really, they were awful.
Not the recipe. 
Not the cookie part. 
The filling was yuk; therefore making the whoopies...yuk.
I think my marshmallow fluff expired.  I didn't know marshmallow fluff could.

Will, I make them again?   Yes.
Then I will call them Peanut Butter Whoopies-Take II and remember to take pictures.
**(Remember in the Home Page, I told you, I was an amateur.  I will make plenty of mistakes.
I hope one day I can be like Kristan of the Cookbook Queen,
and Maria of Two Peas and Their Pod,
and Angie of Bakerella,
and Marian of Sweetopia and the list goes on......)

The recipe is from the book: Whoopies! by Susanne Tee.
Which has amazing recipes!!!!!!  Highly recommend the book.
I will make a lot more from that book.

I am still going to post the recipe because it was NOT the fault of the recipe.
It was me.

Peanut Butter Whoopie Pie Cookies

Cookie:   4 Tbsp butter, softened + more for greasing
                1 cup brown sugar
                5 Tbsp peanut butter, either smooth or crunchy (I used smooth)
                1 tsp pure vanilla extract
                1 egg, large
                2  1/3 cups all-purpose flour
                1 tsp baking soda
                1 cup buttermilk

*Preheat oven to 350F.
*Line your baking sheet/pan with Sil-Pat or parchment paper.  OR use a Whoopie-Pan and make sure the wells of the pan are greased.
*Beat the butter, sugar, peanut butter, and extract until light and fluffy.
*Beat in the egg.
*In another bowl, sift together flour and baking soda.
*Add the buttermilk to the flour mixture and stir until combined.
*Add the buttermilk/flour mixture with the peanut butter mixture and mix until combined.
*Using a heaping Tablespoon place the batter onto the Sil-Pat or parchment paper, the whoopies will spread therefore leave space.  (IF using the Whoopie-Pan place the batter in the wells).
*Bake for 12 minutes or until the cookie is firm to the touch.
*Transfer to the wire-rack and let cool.

Filling:   1 cup peanut butter, either smooth or crunchy (I used smooth)
               2 cups Marshmallow Fluff

**Whisk together the peanut butter and marshmallow fluff until light and fluffy.

Assembly:   Match each whoopie with its closest match and on the flat-side of the whoopie,
pipe (using either a pastry bag or a Zip-Lock bag--make a small cut in the corner of the bag),
the filling onto the whoopie and then sandwich together.

**Please let me know how yours turn out.  I would love to hear your comments.
:)


***Please Note:  I use Salted Butter and then omitted the salt requested in the recipe.
You should do what you feel is best.

*** Don't have buttermilk?  Don't fret.  Do what I do, I make my own.  IF I can do it, you can do it.
For every one-cup of buttermilk requested, place 1-Tbsp of white vinegar and top the rest with milk; to make one-cup of buttermilk.
Stir and let sit for 5-minutes.  Then voila!    :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment