Wednesday 17 October 2012

Pumpkin Whoopie Pie cookies

This Thanksgiving we didn't have the traditional pumpkin pie therefore I promised the girls I would make the Pumpkin Whoopies instead.  They were delighted.

Came across this recipe, I think via www.foodgawker.com
That site is deadly.  My favourite list keeps growing and growing.  People are amazing and the things they bake or cook.  Wow!

Anyways, these Pumpkin Whoopies makes a large batch.  The recipe states 2 dozen whoopies, I think I got a bit more.  My girls had some, their friends' had them and we ate a few while assembling them.  I know...bad habit.  I need to work out more and eat less.   :(

Check out the blog, below.  The Culinary Couple's picture are really good and show you, step-by-step.  Something I don't do.  Yet.

http://theculinarycouple.com/2011/11/14/pumpkin-whoopie-pies/

The recipe calls for ginger, I omit this because I am allergic to ginger. 
Unfortunately, I won't be baking gingerbread cookies or ginger bread houses.  :(



Pumpkin Whoopie Pie Cookies

Cookies:   3 cups all-purpose flour
                 1 tsp salt
                 1 tsp baking powder
                 1 tsp baking soda
                 2 Tbsp cinnamon
                 1 Tbsp each of ginger and cloves (--I omit these)
                 2 cups firmly-packed dark-brown sugar
                 1 cup vegetable oil
                 3 cups pumpkin puree
                 2 large eggs
                 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

*Preheat oven 350F.
*Line baking sheet/pan with Sil-Pat or parchment paper.
*In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.  Set aside.
*In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer, combine brown sugar and oil.
*Add pumpkin puree and mix throughly.
*Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
*Slowly add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture until completely combined.
*Using a heaping Tablespoon of dough onto the baking sheet/pan, about 1-2-inches apart.
*Bake for approx. 12-14 minutes, until cookies just start to crack on top and/or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
*Remove from oven and move cookies to wire rack to cool completely.

Filling:   3 cups confectioners' sugar
               1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (I used Salted Butter)
               8-ounces cream cheese, softened
               1 tsp pure vanilla extract

*With an electric mixer, using a wire-whisk-attachment, beat butter until smooth.
*Add cream cheese and beat until combined.
*Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth.

Assemble:   Spread filling onto flat-side of cookie and top with another cookie. 

*Refrigerate for approx. 20-30 mins. before serving.
(I couldn't wait that long).

Yum.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment